Chapter 19

After her unsettling meeting with Lincoln Potter, Carrie put on a straight face and went to meet EZ at the butcher shop. She was happy to go, she'd been planning on texting him after she heard the news from Potter but EZ reached out to her first. Stopping at Angel's she picked up Joey, knowing Angel had to get back, and promised him she'd tell him everything that evening.

"I am so sorry," Felipe said to her. He gave her a kiss on the cheek and took the baby. "I heard what happened."

"I'd be surprised if you didn't," she said sadly, "But thank you."

"EZ is on his way," Felipe told her. "Said he has news."

She nodded. "I'm sure he does."

"I know things weren't perfect between you and Kevin but the loss of a spo-"

"Please don't," she whimpered. "I don't think you can help me deal with this, you and I are suffering in vastly different ways."

"A loss is a loss," he said.

"True but I lost Kevin years ago, if I ever really had him at all," she shrugged. "There wasn't a time that I ever loved Kevin without doubts or longing for Angel." Carrie hated herself but it felt good to be able to be so blunt and honest with someone. Why she chose Felipe she didn't know but she couldn't stop it now.

"I'm here if you ever want to talk," he offered. "That's all."

"Thank you," she said. "Thank you for welcoming me and Joey, as well. Whether or not you feel the same as you're acting it's nice not to be shunned."

"La familia," he said with a smile. "Speaking of," Felipe added.

Carrie turned to see EZ pulling off his gloves a she strolled up to the door. He smiled at them, cheerful yet reserved, and gave them both a hug.

"You're in a good mood," his father remarked.

"I'm off the hook, Pop," he beamed.

"How?" Felipe looked just as shocked as Carrie should have been.

"I helped Carrie," he said simply, "And this was the government's thank you."

"You helped her how?" His joyful expression turned dark and stormy. "What is this?"

"When Kevin was killed I had to be a bit creative with some details," Carrie admitted. "I put EZ there, one because it was easy to have a reason he'd be there and two because I needed a reason to still be alive."

"The home invasion?" Felipe looked at EZ then Carrie.

"It happened but I wasn't there," she sighed. "Angel should have explained this."

"This is more dangerous," he chided them.

Carrie shook her head. "It's not. If they knew the real story they would have investigated, they would have found out about me and Angel and that puts the murder on him. I had to put distance there and I could only do that by throwing myself and EZ into it. Why would Angel or the club kill Kevin knowing I was there with our son? Why would Angel go up there when EZ was there? They would have seen him and left before even busting in."

"I still don't like it," Felipe huffed.

"Pop, it's fine," EZ explained. "It's done. It's been wiped, there isn't even any evidence left, it's all smoke."

Felipe listened to EZ, his expression slowly changing, and eventually gave into his excitement. Their happiness scared Carrie though. She thought the moment she relaxed and began to welcome and accept the reality of her new life something would come along to disrupt them all.