Chapter 15

"Paul really likes you y'know." George spoke up cutting through the silence in the car that had set over once we'd left from the party.

"Well he loves Jane so I don't see why it would matter." I looked over to George from the window with a sigh.

"I know you're upset love, and rightfully so, but he and Jane are slowly drifting away from eachother. They've spent so much time apart." He shook his head.

"Well, it still isn't right to go cheating on her because she's not around." I looked at him disheartened by merely talking about it.

"Look, I know Paul really screwed up, but I haven't seen him this happy in months. He really does care for you a great deal Charlie." George assured me.

I stayed silent unsure of how to respond, feeling my head spinning with millions of thoughts.

George drove me the rest of the way to Audrey and Ben's house. I thanked him for the trouble he'd went through before walking into the house.

I saw Audrey by the fireplace reading through magazines while she waited for me.

Her head immediately turned and lit up brightly.

"Why are you so happy?" I laughed taking my shoes off.

She held up her hand, revealing an engagement ring.

"No." I whispered in amazement.

"Yes!" She squealed happily.

"Woah." I gulped watching her ring finger closely as she walked over giddily.

"When did he?" I trailed off speechlessly as I looked at the giant rock on her ring finger.

"He took me back to the restaurant we went to on our first date." She smiled in awe as her ring sparkles in the dim lighting.

"Congratulations." I nodded in amazement smiling, absolutely speechless.

"Thank you," She beamed. "Tomorrow morning Bennie and I are going to my mothers house to tell them the news. Will you be alright here?" Her smile fell slightly.

"Oh, yes of course!" I smiled.

"I'm going to go get some rest. See you tomorrow Charlie." Audrey smiled begging to walk upstairs to her and Ben's room.

I waved congratulating her once more and walked in the opposite direction on the first floor to my room.

Once I got in bed I couldn't fall asleep. I had made such a mess of everything and I couldn't help but feel envious of Audrey, she had her life together. I was an absolute hot mess, I had never been so sure of anything until I had met Paul, and now I wasn't even sure if I'd ever see him again. I couldn't even support myself like I'd hoped when I left from my parents house and I was struggling to find a job that would support me enough to be independent.

I was restless trying to stop thinking about Paul, but whenever I closed my eyes all I could see was flashbacks from the party, the way he'd stood up to Oliver for me even though I told him I never wanted to see him again.
________________

The next morning I slept in until noon, feeling just as sad as when I'd fallen asleep.

I walked along the hallways in the giant empty house wondering if I'd ever be living in such luxury as Audrey. Every bridge of mine had burned and I felt as if there wasn't anywhere to go except back home to my parents.

I telephoned my mother hesitantly, knowing I'd have to tell her what had happened or else she'd be calling the telephone from my old flat.