Chapter 29

Paul's P.O.V.
I sped to Cavendish after Audrey had told me everything I needed to know about how to win Charlie over. I hadn't much time to think, all I knew for certain was that I needed to see her face again soon or else I wasn't sure what I'd do.

I pursed my lips in a thin line as I walked up my front steps, deep in thought of what I would say to Charlie as I opened the front door.

I sensed something different when Martha wasn't greeting me with a tail wag at the door, causing my stomach to twist with a slight discomfort.

"Paul?" I heard an all too familiar voice call, causing my expression to fall in fright.

Maggie.

I heard Martha growling at her somewhere inside the house.

She turned around the corner into sight with a mischievous smile, wearing one of her almost too short dresses that used to drive me insane.

"W-what are you doing here?" My eyebrows furrowed into a line as I watched her shrug innocently.

"Well, I've been thinking about you Paulie." She began to circle around me like she was preying on me before we stood face to face.

"Maggie, I've told you already, I'm in love with someone else." I spoke sternly, watching her smile falter for a millisecond.

"Right, and I know what you said before, but when has a relationship ever stopped you before, huh?" She batted her eyelashes with that suggestive little smirk of hers that I would usually return with one of my own.

John had said the same thing to Charlie when he wanted to take a jab at me for still being in a relationship with Jane when I started seeing her.

The words made my blood begin to boil, I could never hurt her again.

"Paul, lover, I-" She took my hands in hers, trying to get the reaction she wanted from me, but seeing my face was filled with annoyance and impatience.

"I wont kiss and tell, it'll be our little secret. What d'you say, for old times sake?" She smiled seductively, causing a small smirk on my lips to grow as she ran her hand along my arm.

I slowly leaned in, watching intently as her eyes closed and her lips puckered together triumphantly, as is shed won some sort of competition.

Before out lips touched I moved my mouth close to her ear, so she could hear me clearly this time.

"I'm in love with someone else. So, whatever sort of, thing, this was, it's over." I pulled back my face before stepping around her to call Martha. I needed her to come with me to get Charlie back.

"Paul McCartney. If I walk out that door, I'm never coming back, I don't even care anymore if you're a Beatle." She huffed.

I rolled my eyes with my back turned to her, good, I thought, a Beatle was all she ever saw me as anyway.

"That was the hope." I turned back around to her with a small grin.

I had come to realize how some of the people around me had become negative influences on my life. I should've never wound up with Maggie in the first place, but I felt I was missing something, and now that I met Charlie I feel complete. I was in a very dark place then and I didn't want Maggie to ruin any chance of me finally being happy now.

She scoffed before stomping away out of the house, Martha barking after her angrily causing me to grin.

"Now, Martha, let's go get Charlie back." I smiled down at her, seeing Martha wagging her tail happily, her tongue flopping out of her mouth while she panted.