17

—

NARI KNOCKED on the door of lucas's dorm at 2 am in the morning. she was there with just sweatpants and an oversized sweatshirt. she couldnt sleep at night, especially after knowing the possibility of lucas finding someone else.

when lucas opened the door, he was just in pajamas and a navy blue tank top. his hair messy, he ran his fingers through his hair, so that he could see the girl in front of him better. he was tired, of course, but seeing nari after so long, he didnt mind losing sleep.

it took nari a long time and a lot of courage to look at wong yukhei in the eyes. and when she finally did, she teared up. but because she didnt want him to see her like that, she pulls him in for a hug, burying her face in his chest, she sobs.

lucas wrapped his arms around her, and pats her. "chae nari," he whispered to himself. it has been so long since he got to call out her name. it rolls off his tongue perfectly. he loved her name, but not as much as he loved her. — loved.

"wong yukhei," she softly called out his name, while having her head still buried in his chest. "i missed you, you idiot," she sobbed, continuously. "i love you, yukhei. im so sorry if i'm late, im so sorry it took me so long to say it," she cried out.

it's been a long time, since lucas got to hear nari say that she loved him. and when nari finally said it, his heart felt at ease. he missed her, there was no denying that. he pulled away from the hug, he grabbed a sweatshirt and closed the door, he held her hand and led her to the park right next to the campus, so they can have some alone time together.

when they sat on the bench together, a few inches apart, their hands in their own pockets, they stared at the row of lamp posts arranged in front of them. silence, was filling up the atmosphere, other than the sound of their own breathing.

"just tell me," was what nari said, to break the ice. lucas looked at her, but she was looking ahead of her. "tell you what?" lucas asked, his deep voice lingering in her ear. she never forgot the sound of his voice. and she doesnt think that she ever will.

"tell me you're happier here. i've already accepted the fact that you're seeing someone," she exclaimed, breathing in and out, taking deep breaths, so that her heart wont beat out of control when lucas admits it. there was a short moment of silence before he actually speaks out the truth.

"i-im sorry," he hesitated, trying to grab her hand, that wasnt there. he felt stupid for moving on. "but it wasnt my fault, nari! i waited for you," he tried to defend himself. but nari wasnt in the mood to argue with him. "what's her name?" nari asked.

lucas sighed, putting his hands back into his pocket. "kim sejun," he answered. "pretty name, huh?" nari said, but he disagreed, "yours is prettier, dont you think?" he grinned, effortlessly laughing, trying to lighten up the mood.

"goddamnit yukhei! you cant say things like this when you have a fucking girlfriend!" she raised her voice, she was getting frustrated. lucas was taken aback, he knew what he was doing was wrong. the two just kept quiet.

"are you doing good, here?" she asks about his well-being. "y-yeah, i mean, at first i was lonely, because i was one of the few koreans here, but apparently i met a few chinese students and koreans, so i felt comfortable! i get good grades too! and im popular!" he excitedly explained his life there. nari nodded her head.

"it must be good, feeling happy." she uttered. "she calls you yukhei too?" nari questioned the boy who was sitting next to her. he hummed, "she's my girlfriend, nari, of course she can call me by my real name," he nervously chuckled.

back in korea, lucas would have beaten anyone up who called him yukhei. even his ex girlfriends wasnt even given the permission to call him that. but when nari called him that, it made lucas feel proud to have such a name. when nari calls him yukhei, lucas took pride in his name.

nari was the only person in school that could have called him yukhei. it was something special, to her, to him. but when lucas moved to cali, he has another girl to call him that now. something that nari thought held special meaning, is now nothing to him anymore.

it was taken by someone else. and she hated herself for that.

nari sighed. everything about this situation is very hard for her to take in. "i waited for you for two months, nari. three, or even more! i even sent you a letter-" his sentence was cut off. "a letter? why didnt i receive it?" she asked. lucas smirked, then scoffed.

"does it look like i know why you didnt receive that damn letter? i dont know why it didnt arrive in your stupid doorstep! it probably got lost in the mail-" lucas was frustrated for god knows what reason. "why the hell are you getting so worked up?!" she raised her voice.

"jesus christ, nari, because i waited for you for fucking months! you cant just come up here and interrupt my life! i was doing well without you! you cant just come here and tell me you still love me when i already have a fucking girlfrind, chae nari! i've changed!" he screams into her face.

"and im sorry that that damn letter didnt get to you! at this point, i hope it never does! i have every right to be angry with you right now okay?!" he continued. nari stood up, finally looking at him in his eyes, both their eyes bloodshot red. nari gathered all her anger.

"you dont have the rights to yell at me right now, wong yukhei! you want an apology? fine! im sorry for caring about you too much! okay? im sorry that it took me so fucking long to find you! that wouldnt have happened if you just texted me or told me about this earlier! im sorry-"

yukhei got on his two feet, standing right in front of her, he scoffed, "why are you so frustrated at me for?" at her. at the girl who was practically sobbing, trying so hard not to yell at him. "im frustrated because when i came here, i thought the first thing i could do was to hug and kiss you again, lucas! im frustrated because when i arrived, it turned out to be different!" her voice started to crack.

"then kiss me!" lucas cried out, holding her hands, intertwining fingers with her. she tried to pull away, "are you crazy?!" she yelled at him. "you want to kiss me so much, right? then kiss me! kiss me right here right now, chae nari!" he pulled her closer to him.

nari tried her best to resist. "you have a fucking girlfriend, you bastard!" she tried to walk away but his grip was stronger than hers, so she just stood there. "you came here for a kiss so come here and kiss me! why is it so difficult to just kiss me-"

right then, nari had enough. she wanted to kiss lucas, so she did. she tiptoed a little bit, pulling lucas's collar lower, so she could kiss him properly. it wasnt long, it was a short one. and when she pulled away, their eyes staring deep into each other's souls, there was a moment of silence, for about five seconds.

before lucas pulled her closer to him and kissed her again. her arms wondering around his neck and his hair, his arms pulling her body closer to him, carefully grabbing her by the waist. it's been so long since they've kissed, and this time, this kiss, was better and more powerful than every other kiss they have shared before.