Chapter One: Excited

Adaline Emerson POV

"Are you absolutely sure," I choke out as large tears stream down my face. The pack doctor, Dr. Share, warmly bares her beautiful wide smile.

"Luna, I am sure! See for yourself," she exclaims. Dr. Share bolts up from her stool and pushes the monitor around, all while taking care to keep her right hand steady in an effort to ensure the probe remains undistributed. I stare in utter disbelief at the screen; my eyes boring into the black pocket among the sea of gray, and I notice the outline of a small bean shaped object within the pocket.

"Oh goddess," I whisper.

"And that's not even the best part," Dr. Share exclaims quickly, "-watch this!"

She maneuvers the probe around slightly, causing the screen of the monitor to search through the sea again, then, it appears - two separate pockets become displayed. I gasped.

"Does that mean-"

"Yes, you are having twins. Judging by the two completely separate placentas, they are fraternal twins. I would also assume that you are around three to four weeks pregnant. Congratulations, Luna! I am sure the Alpha will be most pleased," she beams.

Dr. Share has been completely understanding through the year and a half of struggles and hardships Nikolai and me have endured in trying to have pups, just for this moment happening right now. See, we have been mated for nearly two years; after being mated for six months we decided to start a family. If only we knew then how difficult that feat would be. Not to mention, we were starting to raise some suspensions and rumors within the commons of the pack on whether we are true mates because only claimed mates can produce heirs. No doubt, it has been a stressful venture for everyone involved.

"I must go and tell Nikolai. Thank you so much for this wonderful news, Doctor, we really appreciate all that you have done," I speak, as I wipe my tears.

"Thank you, Luna. Before you go, make sure you take this," she states before handing me a set of four printed images, all displaying my pups. I beam proudly at the images before placing them safely inside my cream colored purse. "Thank goddess for our pups," my wolf speaks for the first time in months.

I leave the pack's medical clinic, eager to get home and tell Nikolai about our pups. After about a five minute drive, I arrive home. I hop out of my car with my purse in hand. I have never been so excited in my entire 26 years. Virtually flying up the staircase and running through the halls, I arrive at the old wooden doors. For some reason, I take extreme care to observe the doorway, the door was some type of wood, most likely oak, which was stained a deep cherry color. The door was also paired with intricate woodwork that surrounded it. The whole presentation screamed power and strength. I sucked in a breath and grabbed the old golden door handle. As soon as my hand touches the cold metal, a surge of nervousness ripped through me.

"Hey, what are you doing," our Beta, Garett, said. His deep rich voice caused me to jump, remove my hand from the handle, and spin around. I looked directly into his light brown eyes and began to speak.

"I need to speak with my mate, right now," I stated, trying to hide my overwhelming excitement.

"He is in a meeting right now," Garett sighed, "you will just have to wait until he is done."

I groaned, "you don't understand! I have to talk with him, it is very important-"

The door ripped open, and there stood an immensely angry Alpha. He grabbed my arm roughly, digging his fingers between my bicep and tricep, "what have you done," he ground out. I stood there, petrified, as I have never seen my mate this furious. His body was rigid and firm as he towered over me. His pale green eyes bored into my soul, almost as if he was searching through my mind, flipping through my inner Rolodex for the answer.

"What are you going on about," I whispered, confused.

"That's all you have to say after what I just witnessed. How could you do this to me? To us! Do you even understand what an attempt on the Queen's life is like? They will kill you! If not, both of us and the pack! God, I cannot believe you would even dare to do this. What were you thinking," he hissed out.

"I have no idea what you are talking about-"

"They have you on video, Adaline! How can you deny that! You can't possibly make up an excuse for something so unforgivable and vile," he spits out.

"Alpha, we need to take the Luna. It is dictated by our traditions and elders that a crime of this magnitude needs repercussions and a trail, at once," a female voice spoke. Nikolai pushed the door open with his back and, with one jerk of the stiff arm, threw me inside the office and onto the hardwood floor. I looked up from the floor, my hazel eyes skimming through the crowd of people.

All the people within Nikolai's office were of an older demographic, an even blend of males and females, and all were wearing Victorian style clothing, accompanied by deep purple velvet cloaks. Their cloaks had a golden emblem embroidered above the left breast. I froze when the chill of realization hit me. This herd of 12 were part of the High Council of Elders. I quickly pulled myself off of the floor, stood up, and properly bowed.

"I am the Luna Emerson of Riverwood Pack. It is an honor to have the High Council here. I will give you my full cooperation in whatever it is that is happening," I spoke as calm and evenly as I could muster. My heart still recovering from my mates sudden cold temper. I looked over at him, almost pleading for help, which caused him to cross his arms and roll his eyes.

"Look," Nikolai began to hiss out, "go ahead and take her, but know that she is no Luna of this pack. We will never associate ourselves with a traitor. I, Nikolai Emerson, reject Adaline Emerson as my mate and Luna of the Riverwood pack."

My eyes widened as a hard pain pounded in my chest. My throat suddenly tightened and my stomach was at war with itself. I felt cold and sick as I watched my mate willingly throwing me away.

"Please, think about what you are doing, Nikolai, I had no part in whatever has happened. This is all a mistake. I am begging you, please don't reject me-"

"Enough. You didn't think about what you were doing when you tried to kill the Queen. I am doing what is best for everyone," he said pointedly. He huffed and pinched the skin between his eyebrows with his hand, "just get her out of my site."

"As you wish Alpha Emerson. We are grateful for your undying loyalty," one of the elders spoke. The rest of them nodded in agreement. Two of the male elders came forward, and grabbed me by my biceps and began to drag me through the beautiful doorway and away from my mate's office. Eventually, I was shoved into a vehicle and hauled away from the life I once knew.

My tears were frantically spilling down my face and crashing onto my chest, effectively soaking my shirt. I sat there quietly pondering about my mate, his rejection and the fate of my pups. Just to think, a mere hour ago I was living my dreams and surfing on excitement.