Chapter Two: Accusation

I was ripped from the sleek vehicle and forced to walk forward by the elders behind me. I gasped at the site before me. There was a large palace before me, more specifically, it was the High Council of Elders Palace that has been standing since the early 1700s. The cool-toned stonework stared at me, in a bored fashion. The trees, with their leaves, painted tones of red, orange, and yellow to reflect the change of season, blew back and forth, almost as if they were greeting me. As much as I admired the gracefulness of such architecture and nature, I couldn't gawk at it for too long. I have way more pressing matters to attend to, I thought.

"Yes, we do," my wolf, Maiya, agreed, "they think we tried to assassinate the Queen"

I don't understand how they think I could do such a heinous thing, I thought.

We arrived at the steps of the Palace when the large stone doors slowly began to open. I was forced through the corridor and into the palace. It was all very grand, to say the least. The walls and flooring emphasized the importance of this place, as well as the sheer power it radiated.

"We need to go to the courtroom, immediately. Once there, you will be tried and sentenced. Do you understand?"

"Yes," I spoke and firmly nodded.

After walking for what seemed to be a good quarter mile, we arrived at Court's double doors. Both of the doors swung open. All of the hushed conservations hauled and the all of the Head Elders quickly straightened up within their seats. The Head Elders ran the courts and decided punishments for extreme crimes that could not be handled properly or effectively within a pack. They sat, stoically, and stared at me. The Head Elders were lined up, stadium style, with four rows in total. On average, there were about 45 Head Elders at any given time.

"Head Elders, we present Adaline Emerson, former Luna of the Riverwood Pack. She is being charged with treason and attempting to murder the Queen of the Wolves," one of the Elders proclaimed, shoving me forward. The Head Elders nodded in approval.

"What say you in your defense," one Head Elder asked.

"This is a misunderstanding. I have never or would I even attempt to assassinate anyone, let alone the Queen," I exclaimed, "I cannot be charged for a crime I never even committed."

The Head Elder nodded before saying, "We have evidence to believe that it was, in fact, you that committed this crime."

All of the Head Elders nodded at once as if all in agreement. Another Elder, from the far left corner, spoke, "Rubio, can you play the video for us."

A tall man appeared, pulling an old box television behind him. The man was handsome, to say the least. He is about 30 years old, full head of shaggy hair, and a pair of brown eyes. He stared at me, for a moment, before popping a VHS tape into the bottom of the television.

What a way to live in this century, I thought.

Rubio pressed play and disappear behind the High Elders seating. The screen depicted a woman sneaking through, what I presumed to be, the Royal Castle with a silver dagger in her hand. She had blonde hair, similar to mine in the sense of color, however, mine was about 6 inches shorter. This mystery woman was tall, slim, and had cream-colored skin. The screen changed, presenting a new camera angle. There was a woman within the foreground of the image. She was standing within the study of the Castle, reading, as her white hair reflecting the rays of the moon. The mystery woman appeared around the corner and launched herself onto the Queen. I quickly looked away. I was never one for violence. Nevertheless, watching the Queen get stabbed was not my cup of tea.

I refocused my attention to the Head Elders and spoke, "these are all common traits for a person to possess. You cannot accuse every tall blonde woman in the kingdom of trying to kill the Queen!"

"Show her the photograph," the same Head Elder spoke to Rubio. He curtly nodded and brought out a 12 inch by 12-inch photograph of the woman, just seconds before the attack. Her face as clear as day. I gasped, as did the Elders seated behind me. She was a spitting image of me. Round hazel eyes, high cheekbones, blonde hair, full lips, and smooth cream skin littered with freckles. It was undeniable that this was me. Did I really try to murder the Queen, I thought, surely I would remember something like that.

"I'm sorry, this is not me. I have never been to the Royal Castle, nor do I have any ill feelings toward the Royal family. Surely, can you believe me," I breathed out.

"While you have no clear motive, we cannot dismiss what we have seen here today. That woman in these images is you, without a doubt. However, you claim that this is not you. If this is not you, then riddle me this, where were you on the night of September 26th? Around 20:45?"

"I was at home, waiting for my mate to come home from an Alphas Ball," I stated.

"And you did not accompany him," another High Elder questioned.

"No, I was sick that day and did not wish to attend."

"Were you home alone?"

"Yes," I began, "but my Beta's mate came over around midnight."

"So, you were home alone for nearly four hours with no one to confirm your story?"

I stared, tight-lipped. Oh goddess, they do not believe us.

"I can't say I would either," Maiya sighed.

"We need a moment to discuss your ruling. Thank you," an Elder spoke. The all stood up and filed out of the court and into chambers.

After about 15 minutes of discussion, the chamber's door opened and the High Elders took their seats before me.

"We have a verdict. Adaline Emerson, we find you guilty of treason and attempted murder. You are sentenced to death, and will be publically hanged."

I gasped and began sobbing. My stomach sunk to the floor and my feet went completely numb as a surge of dread ripped through me. I instantly thought about the future of my pups. I couldn't and wouldn't sacrifice my pups for this.

"My pups," I cried out, "I am pregnant. Please, don't kill my pups. Let me give birth and then you can do whatever to me, but just don't harm them."

A High Elder stood up quickly, drawing the attention to him. "Can you prove it?"

I shook my head furiously and looked over at the Elder who drug me in here and confiscated my purse during the car ride. He still had my purse in his hand. I pleadingly looked back at the Head Elders.

"I have an ultrasound in my purse and one of the Elders has," I stated, wiping my tears.

"Bring the purse forward," a High Elder boomed.

The Elder with my purse stood up, walked to the center of the High Elders, and presented the purse. They momentarily nod at each other and the Elder retakes his seat. The High Elder grabs my purse, flips it upside down, effectively purging all of its contents onto the table. My ultrasound photographs were quickly held up and the High Elders gasped and proceeded to whisper.

"In light of this news, we will allow you to birth your pups, in due time. However, after that, you will be hanged. You will be forced to stay within the Palace and are not allowed to have contact with the outside world. Since you are pregnant and your status, we will not place you in the common cells. You are to stay in a guest room of the Palace, but this is probationary. You show any inclination of a threat or problem, you will go into the cells. Are we clear?"

"Yes, High Elders. I thank you."

And just to think that a bold accusation can lead you straight to your grave.