Chapter Fifteen: Truth in Sisterhood

A few hours had past and the sound of yelling has since gradually been dying down until all former sounds became muted. I took this time to relax and heal from being hanged for a few moments. Eventually, I heard the door unlock and creak open slowly. Footsteps echoed off of the stone walls as they entered the room. The stop after a few beats and a voice rings out.

"Everything is okay, Adaline. You can come out," Rubio spoke.

I pushed the doorway open with my legs and crawled out. I rose to my feet and brushed off of the dust and cobwebs I was covered in. Rubio and Rosia stood in front of me. I raised my brow at Rosia.

"We have taken care of that corrupt Council. They are no more," Rosia spoke calmly.

I nodded in appreciation. Rosia eyed me carefully, searching my neck for any reminders of my attempted execution.

"You seemed to heal rather nicely."

I nodded again, this time in agreement. Curiosity surged through me as I studied Rosia's features.

"I have questions," I said.

"And I have answers," she blurted out.

I looked at Rubio for reassurance. He smiled back at me, encouraging me to continue.

"Obviously, we are identical twins, but why would let me die for something you did?"

She frowned at my tone.

"I had my men and women within the Royal family's guards and warriors. I had infiltrated their most inner rankings, almost like a parasite," she paused momentarily, "It was almost too easy. I had my uppermost men pacing the Queen, watching her every move since my attack. I never meant to kill the Queen that night or, believe me, she wouldn't have been standing around for your appeal. My hope was that the Royal family would panic at the thought of being exterminated, which they did. They ramped up security, which allowed my people to become protectors to the Royals. I never assumed that the Council would go after you, especially since you were a Luna. Trust me, I never wanted you to get in the crossfire."

"But I did."

"I know," she sighed, "I only found out a few days ago when you filed for an appeal and the court summoned the Queen. My men relayed the information to me. Of course, the Queen wanted to go to your execution. That sick little bitch even bragged about it. I planned on having my men kill her and free you, but Rubio beat us to that punch."

"What happened to the Elders?"

"We ended up killing every single one of them. Even if we wanted to, we couldn't fix this deeply flawed Council once we took over control."

"To take control?"

"Yeah, you don't think I stabbed the Queen, murdered her entire pathetic family, and slaughtered the High Council of Elders for shits and giggles, did you?"

My eyes widened in realization. She wanted to kill everyone so that she could rule the entire Kingdom.

"So, you want to rule over everyone?"

She laughed loudly, causing both Rubio and I to jump.

"Not exactly, the throne belongs to the Lycans, not those inbreed mutts."

"Lycans? You aren't a Lycan, so why bother helping them and leading a rebellion?"

She laughed once more, glancing between both Rubio and I. We were both utterly perplexed at her strange behavior. Her orbs darted between Rubio and me repeatedly and her laughing suddenly halted. She just stared at me as if I had grown nine heads instantaneously.

"Oh Goddess, you don't know, do you," she hesitated, "you are a Lycan."

I chuckled thinking that she was referring to Rubio, "Yeah, we are already aware of Rubio being a Lycan. What does that have to do with anything?"

She seemed perplexed for a second, but continued speaking, "No, I am talking about you. We are both Lycans. That's why you didn't die when you were hanged. Most people and wolves would have had their necks break at that fall. At the very least, if they did survive, they wouldn't have recovered as fast as you had."

"How can you be so sure," I questioned, not entirely convinced at her wild allegations.

"I am a Lycan and you are my identical twin. Why wouldn't you? We were born near the turn of the century and on a mark of a decade."

"Okay, thousands of people were born in 1990," I retorted quickly.

She lifted her head, pushed her blonde locks over her shoulders, and ripped off her small black scarf revealing her neck. She was littered with profound scars that horizontally danced around her neckline. I couldn't believe that she was covered those scars and lived to tell the stories. Rubio was not as surprised as I was, but I guess immortality makes you numb to the thought of dying. If she was telling the truth, we would both be immortal. I looked up at Rubio, still doubtful of Rosia's claims. I was hopeful that she was on a rapid lying spree.

"I, too, have had people try to kill me. I learned three deaths ago that I am immune to death," she vocalized, "We have the same blood coursing through our veins and have both evaded death."

"You are a Lycan," she asserted once more.

I did have one final question that had been vexing me for the past few years, that even doctors couldn't answer or solve. I sharply inhaled and proceeded to ask Rosia.

"Is that why I couldn't have pups?"

She nodded sorrowfully and started to speak, "Alpha Emerson is just a normal wolf. He is, and will always be, beneath us. I am shocked that you were able to carry your last set until term, let alone be his mate. Normally, only Lycans are mated with each other. I am sorry to tell you this, but they were almost destined to die. The Lycan bloodline is strong and overpowers the normal wolf genes. Both mates would have to be Lycan for them to reproduce. Loverboy didn't have strong enough genes to produce a heir with you."

I gasped and looked at Rubio. He stared down at me with pity and sorrow. He hated his immortality and now I was doomed to the same fate. I had paid the price for this so-called blessing at the expense of my pups and a loving mateship. I was, most likely, never going to find another mate or have a family, no matter how desperately I craved one.

I thought that knowing the truth would set me free, but it just bound me into a curse.