Chapter Eighteen: Business

It had been hours since we left the palace. I apathetically watched the trees pass in quick blurs as we continued to drive forward. Theodore and Rubio kept chatting and reminiscing about their similar ancient histories, which I had been tuning in and out of. Rubio seemed to be delighted to be in the company of an old friend, but who could blame him? This was presumably the first beloved friend he had seen in a century, at least. The vehicle began to slow down and a magnificent castle started to rise out of the horizon. I quietly gasped, as this was my first time witnessing the Royal Castle in all of her glory. I glimpsed over at Rubio, who seemed to be battling his innermost thoughts. Undoubtedly, he had been here before, but probably under different circumstances, I suppose.

The line of SUVs came to a halt when we arrived in front of the castle. The evening sun began to set, causing the navy sky to erupt in an array of colors as the clouds to be painted hues of deep purples, reds, and yellows. Various windows of the castle were illuminated as if the castle was occupied.

"Are we the only ones here," I asked.

"No, every Lycan we could find has been summoned here," Rosia replied.

"And they came?"

"Of course they did, we have slaughtered the Royals and the High Council to get their attention."

Theodore put the vehicle in park and we all exited the SUV. I stretched my legs in relief. I watched as the other SUV doors swung open and countless other wolves began to climb out. I walked over to Rubio and grabbed his hand. I tugged on his arm lightly forcing him to slightly lean downward.

"How many Lycans do you think are here," I whispered in Rubio's ear.

"I have no idea. Hundreds? Maybe thousands? There is really no telling since four are born every decade. There have been eight born after you and close to 50 born after me. There were hundreds born before me, dating all the way back into the dawn of man. I truly have no idea how many of us remain."

"Alright, everyone, let's join the others," Rosia announced as the castle's duel doors opened.

Rubio placed his hand on the small of my pack, ushering me into the castle with the other gathering of people. The castle was incredible and featured intricate white marble sculptures that glistened from the interior lights. The floors were made of the same marble as the sculptures and were masterfully waxed. The walls were a ghostly blue color accented with twisting gold trimmings. The ceiling was rounded and decorated expertly with paint to represent the story of the wolves, moon, stars, and the goddesses themselves.

A few of Rosia's men were taking down years of oil paintings that portrayed the former occupants of the castle, paying special attention in ripping apart the canvas, as if the were trying to erase the Royal family's existence completely. Alongside to the men were freshly composed portraits of a collection of youthful faces. Judging by the sheer abundance of portraits awaiting the company of the wall and the immortal age of the individuals it depicted, I would say these people are Lycans. It was ironic to think that they would even try to immortalize them with oil on canvas when they never age past 30 years of age and live eternities. We passed the working men and continued to journey through the castle until we reached a set of golden doors.

Rosia paused her movement, for a second, and then proceeded to rip the doors open. This room was like the rest of the castle, but it was enormous in size. There were four long, chestnut colored, tables where approximately 100 people were sitting at. Their engrossing conversations ceased and their heads snapped towards us. The group of us advanced forward, taking our places at the head of the table with numerous untouched seats. Rosia remained standing in the front of the room. She looked out into the sea of Lycans.

"Hello, my brother and sisters. As you might already know, my name is Rosia Schultz. I lead the overthrow of the Royals and the High Council of Elders, with the help of my sister, Adaline Schultz, and my faithful Lycans. We did this to reclaim the positions that were savagely stolen from all of us. Those pathetic branches of the Kingdom have been successfully eliminated. Now, we are left with several pressing matters. Obviously, the control of the Kingdom belongs to the Lycans, but questions remain in the areas of leadership and the structures we will have to forge."

Rosia delayed momentarily and scanned the room before continuing, "As of right now, the common people are not aware of our takeover. I will be assembling a royal committee within this castle to oversee the lands and forming a new High Council of Lycans to enforce laws."

"What about retaking the Alpha titles," a man in the middle of the questioned, causing Rosia to snort.

"Alpha titles are below us. We should continue to let the common wolves play their games," Rosia retorted before continuing, "I need 25 of you to act as the Royal committee, another 50 to act as high ranking warriors for the army and enforcement, 30 more to go to the High Council as Elders and 45 of you to act as Head Elders of the High Council."

The crowd began to start chattering, shouting out the positions that they wanted to claim as they all rose from their chairs. Rubio and I remained silent as we watched the crowd become somewhat unruly.

"Enough," Rosia barked out, "this is why the High Council was able to massacre our packs and dethrone us! You are all acting like rabid animals, which will cause us to lose what we have just gained back. You will all have a fair chance of claiming a position, so stop behaving like common trash."

Everyone calmed down, retaking their seats, and refocusing their attention on Rosia.

"How are we going to control the High Council and keep them from becoming corrupt, like before," Rubio suddenly questioned, cocking a brow at Rosia.

"Simple, you and Adaline will control and overlook the Council's ruling since Y'all seem to know the criminal proceedings and rulings the best," Rosia said, being cut off by a rising level of whispering, "my sister challenged the Council to an appeal and was laughed at. She was hanged because of a case of mistaken identity which she was able to prove. As for Rubio, he has been with the Council for almost a century. After the destruction of his pack, the Council came in and offered him shelter. In return, they made him an unknowing servant of the Council. They never mentioned that they were behind the brutal slaughter his pack and former mate before they manipulated him into serving them like some sadistic little trophy. I think they deserve and have earned the titles presented to them."

I looked at Rubio hesitantly. I never wanted to return to that horrid palace, no matter how many centuries I was required to endure; nonetheless, I did not want to be in charge of it. Rubio also seemed displeased by the thought of having to go back.

Little did we understand that the business addressed here was nonnegotiable.