Chapter Seven: Memories

The Mating Balls were always boring, not to mention, sometimes creepy. The Goddess set you up with a mate, no matter your rank, looks, or even age. I remember watching in horror as an over 62-year-old Alpha claimed a 16-year-old female as his mate. She happened to be close to the same age as his only son, but the Goddess stuck her with that leech. I remember her screams and sobs as her mate grabbed her by the waist and forced her into an SUV. Rumor has it that she had been locked up in his house, caged like an exotic pet, and used only for his sick pleasures. When she refused to accept her fate, she was raped repeatedly by him over the course of almost a year. Angered that she wasn't producing another heir for his legacy, he dragged her into the town square, threw mud and over ragged rock, and publicly executed for "disrespecting an Alpha." Her pleading screams and last breath still haunt the town folk.

The news of the horrific event traveled fast to the neighboring packs as the pack members were seeking alyssum for their unstable Alpha. Until one day when the refugees stopped coming. Another rumor spread through the kingdom that one man had challenged Alpha Lewis for his title and murder him and his only living heir.

I remember seeing her here at the ball a year ago. Her beautiful and silky brunette hair cascaded down her back, allowing the moonlight to glistened off the soft waves. Her misty gray eyes staring at me. Her glowing smile. Her radiate personality. All she is now is a distant memory dancing around in my head. I shivered at the idea of having a mate, much less an overprotective and overbearing Alpha. They were obsessive over the production of pups and maintaining their hierarchies.

The Moon Goddess could be holding the knife of fate to my throat and I wouldn't even know it. It was uncommon for a female, much less a 21-year-old Beta Female, to want to dismiss mateship because of the strength of the formed bond. I looked up at the night sky and chased the stars with my eyes.

"Please, Goddess, spare me of Lilian's fate," I whispered. I begged her as I have for the past three years. The wind picked up causing fall leaves flew past me, the tool on my dress fluttered next to me in whips of navy blue. I sighed and stepped back inside of the ballroom.

I began to pick up a rich and deep Earthy scent. I almost groaned at the smell. Within seconds a tall man stood before me. He had a broad frame that his tailored navy suit accented perfectly. His raven hair was lightly gelled back. My eyes traveled to his face. He had features that would make Zeus himself jealous. He had stern, yet young, features. His pale green eyes pierced into me, causing me to squirm.

"I have been searching for you for seven years," he breathed.

He grabbed my slender hands with his rough ones and placed a delicate kiss upon my knuckles. I blushed deeply. Maybe this mate thing won't turn out so bad, I thought.

"I am Alpha Nikolai Emerson of the Riverwood Pack. I am sure you have heard about it."

I froze. Alpha Emerson was known to be a brutal alpha. He was unlike any of the other alphas because, instead of inheriting the title, he was the one that killed the entire Lewis bloodline and received his Alpha title over Riverwood. He was renowned for being powerful, due to being able to overthrow a former alpha and the current. I sucked in a breath, this is exactly what I didn't want from a mate, an Alpha. I ripped my hands out of his and began to walk away.

"Adaline Schultz," he spoke, "the Beta of Moon-field Pack, no?"

I snapped back around, glaring at him. He raised a brow in amusement.

"Look, 'Alpha'," I mocked, "I don't want a mate, especially not an alpha."

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me to him before crashing his lips onto mine. Sparks blazed down my body and I nearly caused me to melt within his arms. He pulled away and leaned down to my neck, laying one quick kiss the delicate skin. A chill jolted down me. He moved up to my ear and whispered, "I'm not just any old Alpha. I am the best."