Chapter Ten: Time

It has been a whole four months since I learned about Grace and her inevitable despise. Since then, I discovered her old notebook, where she journaled all of her personal knowledge of the inner workings of the Council. I had feverously read all of her books and began to build my case for an appeal. My now extensive knowledge of the law paired with Grace's memoir, I was confident I could combat my case and win. I haven't mentioned my intentions to challenge the Council to Rubio, but something deep in my soul told me that he would not approve.

Rubio was already insanely worried about raising even a drop of suspension about our personal relationship. He has mentioned that I could get me to put in the cells while pregnant and him in complete exile.

I was ready to pop; I am convinced that I could not possibly get any bigger. I was about two weeks from giving birth and two weeks from being hanged. I have been worried about the pups after I am gone. Obviously, Nikolai has no idea about the twins so he would not be an ideal candidate. I entertained the idea of sending them to my sister, Lidea, but Nikolai was in alliance with that pack and frequented there often. While I am no longer a big Nikolai fan, he is no idiot. He would know almost immediately who the father is and probably kill Lidea for not confessing his fatherhood as soon as she got them. I couldn't stomach the thought for risking any of my family for the benefit of my pups. My mind wondered to Rubio. Maybe he could watch after them, I thought. I am not really sure what Rubio even does in the palace beside coming in and out of my personal prison. I was convinced that he was my only hope of keeping my pups safe and Nikolai-free. I didn't want Nikolai to have them, not after what I have been through.

My mind wandered back to my case and my impending appeal. I needed to - had to - tell Rubio of appealing my case. I wanted to have at least one person in my corner rooting for me. Right on cue, a knock rings throughout the room. The chime of the locks being unlocked begins and the door cracks open after a few moments. Rubio closes the door behind him with his foot, balancing a huge dinner tray in his hands. He approached the end table, as he perpetually does, and trades out the trays. A pity of nervousness settles in my stomach and I almost can't speak. Rubio notices my unusual behavior.

"What's wrong, Adaline," he questions while furrowing his eyebrows tightly. Please don't hate me after this, I thought.

"We need to talk," I croak out, nervously.

"Okay," he nods and begins to sit down, "what's going on?"

"I am most likely going to die soon. I hate to ask you to worry about this, but I was wondering if you could take care of my pups when I die? Like make sure that they are okay and grow up well," I breath out. He looked at me wide-eyed.

"Oh Adaline," he spoke, looking directly forward.

"You don't have to if you don't want to I just-"

"No, I will do it. I just have to figure some things out beforehand. Is that all you wanted to talk about?"

I swallowed and began again, "No, I also wanted to talk about my case. I want to appeal my case and try to win my freedom back."

He stood up from the sofa quickly, practically throwing the tray onto the hardwood.

"You want to do what," he seethed out.

"I want to appeal the ruling. I want to challenge my sentence."

"Have you gone mental?"

"No, I want to save my life, Rubio. I need to save my life so that you won't have to worry about hiding my pups!"

He growled loudly, "Adaline, you are being stupid right now. You need to think about what you are doing."

"I have been thinking. I've done months of thinking. I'm tired of being trapped in this room with my fucking thoughts. For fuck's sake, I thought you of all people would stand by me on this."

He shook his head and clenched his fists.

"You are going to get yourself and your children killed. I get that you will die, but are you really willing to sacrifice them too over your discrepancies," he yelled loudly, "I cannot believe you right now!"

His yelling must have caught the attention of a few guards and they dashed into the room.

"What is the matter, Rubio," one of the guards asked.

He shot me a deadpan look before grounding out, "nothing is wrong."

"I want to challenge the High Council to an appeal of my case," I exclaimed boldly.

Everyone's eyes honed in on me as if I had an enormous spotlight focused on me. My line of vision interlocked with Rubio's; I almost felt like I was testing him at this moment. Rubio clenched his jaw tight as if to force himself into staying silent. Rubio was angry, to say the least, but trying to restrain himself for the sake of keeping how personal we have become a secret. The guards began to whisper among themselves as if they were in a hushed debate. It felt like an eon before one of the guards spoke.

"We will notify the Council of your request. We will come back to notify you of the acceptance of your request and deliver a time in which you will be presenting your case once more."

I nodded and they dismissed themselves from the room, but not without vigilantly eyeing Rubio who seems to be glued in place. I glanced at Rubio before granting him one long sigh and proceeding to walk to bed. I pulled back the crimson colors, watching the covers create a ripple of satin. I climbed carefully and pulled the covers to my chin. Rubio was still scowling at me, while his brown orbs were staring through me.

"Does a cat have your tongue or are you going to continue lecturing me like a child," I questioned, with one brow sharply raised. He scoffed loudly.

"That's all you can say to me after that stunt? You have no idea what you have done."

I rolled my eyes at his ignorance, "I'm giving it one last attempt to save my life before they kill me. Do you not want me to live?"

He quietly bent down and collected the mess that the fallen tray had created. Once he was finished he shot me a pointed look, shook his head in disbelief, walked out of the door, and locked me in. I sucked in a breath hastily and held onto it.

What am I thinking? Was this a mistake?

I breathed out and tried to relax into the bed. The door's lock unbolted and the two guards appeared. I stared at them blankly waiting - hoping - for one of them to break this boring silence.

"You will have your appeal at 14:00 sharp tomorrow. There will be two guards who will collect and escort you to the court."

I nodded and they departed from my room in mere moments. I was immediately abandoned and left alone with my dancing thoughts. I glimpsed over at the platter of food to my right. I wasn't hungry after all of the commotions. The thought of Rubio's disapproval and the appeal forced me in extreme nausea. I wouldn't dare eat while in this state. I decided to rest instead of overthinking everything. The big day was tomorrow after all.

It is funny how I spent all that time for this moment, and now I am stuck wishing I could buy back time.