Chapter Six: The Betrayal

It had been a week since I have seen Rubio. An older woman, about 50 years old, had been delivering my food with a curt nod and silent presence. Her dull emerald eyes were stern and burned with unspoken hate, even more so with the wrinkles that creased the surrounding skin. Her graying hair was always up in a knot with on single pin through it. She was always quick to flee the room as if I was some rapid beast trying to bite at her.

The fact the Rubio seemingly disappeared made me form a deep frown. Was he ever going to come back?

My mind also ventured to my mate and my pack. I hoped and prayed that everyone was alright. I missed Nikolai and Aric more than anything. He was so loving and gentle with me. I often daydreamed about what my life could have been and should be. I smiled at the thought of Nikolai flashing his pearly whites with two pups tucked under each arm. I sighed. I don't think he meant the rejection, I thought, he was just hurt at the time.

Even though I missed Rubio, I was able to read my entire book completely undisturbed. I read from cover to cover, desperate to save myself from my sentence. I understood a lot about the laws, more so than ever, but not quite enough to challenge the extensive knowledge of the High Councils' Elders.

I learned that most of those books with the small storage room were law books. Coincidentally, I was determined to read all of them in a final Hail Mary effort to save myself. I returned my pondering gaze back to my new book. This one was named Psychology of Criminal Law Vol.1, and rightfully so. It was interesting, to say the least. According to its pages, I would be classified as a "remorseless psychopath" according to my charges and responses in court. I rolled my eyes and sighed. How could I be remorseful for an I crime I never committed, I thought.

I snapped my book shut and pressed my eyes together just for a moment's rest. I slowly opened them again and placed my left hand over the cover of the faded orange material. I've had enough reading for one day; not to mention, I was completely exhausted physically and mentally. I stood up, stretched, and tucked my book between the mattress and the box spring. I took a couple steps back and assessed my hiding spot, be sure to that my handy work was to my liking. Confident that it was fully concealed, I turned the overhead light off and gazed outside at the night sky. It was a soft blend of blue and black with stars littering the sky. The moon was bright and dreamy, its cream white rays beaming into my cage. I decided to stop stalking the sky and proceeded to go to bed.

I crawled back into bed, my long silk deep green gown brushed my legs as it trailed behind me. I was lucky enough to be able to borrow a few outfits, at least until I am to die. I pulled the covers up to my chin and gently shut my eyes. I began to relax and journeyed onward towards sleep.

My sleep came fast and deep. I dreamed of a life outside of the compounds of these cold stone walls.

Suddenly, a deep fire blew through my body, radiating from the center of my chest. I trashed in the bed and screamed out. My hair fell around my face in a swift cascade. Strands of hair stuck to the skin on my neck and face, as I was drenched in sweat. My face bunched up in pained as another wave radiated through my body. My muscles clenched and my body distorted into various twists and turns. Tears flew from my eyes as my agony grew. I cried out one last time before being utterly consumed in blackness.

*          *            *

I was blinded by disorientating bright lights when my eyes first reopened after my episode. What the hell ever happened to me. My body screamed as I dared to move my muscles. They were tender, especially the ones around my abdomen. I gritted my teeth and pulled myself up out of the bed. The familiar crimson sheets slipped off my body and pooled around my lap. After a few seconds, the harshness of the light wore off and the room became more visible. I scanned the room and froze on the image of Rubio. He was sleeping on one of the sofas. His brown locks were frazzled in every possible direction. His plump pink lips were slightly apart, sending out a whisper of snores.