Chapter Eleven: Visitors and Secrets

The on fall of the night also brought in extreme winter coldness to my room. Rubio had come into my room to ignite my fireplace and placed a padlock on the corner of the glass containing the flames. I presume it was to keep me from doing anything to myself or the palace. He was stoic and silent as if he was punishing me for my outbursts earlier. He never once looked at me nor did he ever utter a single word. Once he abandoned my company, I drifted back into sleep.

I had awoken a few times throughout the night and I caught myself sitting up in bed, gazing out of the barred windows to watch the snowflakes swirling to the ground. The soft layers of snow litter the ground and sprinkled itself delicately onto the branches of the trees. The moonlight highlighted the muted peaks of the snowy banks. I sighed. I have always loved the winter season, but for some reason, a sadness washed over me this time. This is going to be the last of winter I will most likely ever see if I don't win the appeal.

I groaned in frustration and tossed my body into the bed. I hastily yanked the satin covers up to my chin and attempted to return to my slumber. I closed my eyes and began to settle myself into a deep relaxation state, however, I was not quite asleep. I am too anxious for proper sleep, at the moment.

Suddenly, the locks of my door began to sound. I furrowed my eyebrows. Who would be barging into my room so late? The door swung open and closed quickly, and a body placed their back against the door. Then the Earthy scent hit me like a million brick and with it brought back a disgusting amount of nostalgia. His features reflected the warm light of the flames from the fireplace. His raven black hair was softly tousled and he sported a small beard that I was unfamiliar with. His green orbs stared straight at me. He wore an expression of disbelief as if he had just seen a ghost. Nikolai looked as handsome and as terrifying as ever. I dryly swallowed. What the fuck is he doing here? He yanked his back from the door and stalks towards my bed.

"What are you doing here," I quietly questioned.

I was confused, to say the least, but more angry with the audacity that he possessed. He continued to approach me and completely disregarded my question. He arrived at my bedside. I closed my eyes and felt the bed dip down as he sat down on its edge. I opened my eyes and frown at the fact that I was not, in fact, having some sort of stress hallucination. He reached his left hand out, gently making contact with the delicate skin of my face. He traced my features as if he was trying to read braille, which left trails of sparks with every touched. I was becoming nauseous from his touch, yet, I was too terrified to move even an inch. He gently traced down my jaw and stopped on my chin. With his curled index finger and pad of his thumb, he roughly grabbed my chin and pressed down. His eyes squinted and his eyebrows pressed together, revealing countless stress lines on his face.

"Why are you still alive," he hissed out.

He still had a strong hold on my chin, which was causing searing pain. I wasn't sure what I should say. I attempted to look away from his burning gaze, but he ripped my face back into his desired position. His hot minty breath fanned over me.

"I am not going to repeat myself again, Adaline."

"I don't know why I am still alive," I spoke.

My dissatisfying answer seemed to anger Nikolai even further. He dropped his hand from my chin before bringing it back down in a powerful swing. His palm connected with my face which released a loud echo of sound and a jolt of pain to run through my cheekbone. I immediately brought my hand to my hand, I could still sense the heat radiating off of the mark. He was as enraged as ever and held the expression of a madman.

"You are really going to fucking lie to me right now?"

"I'm not," I asserted, forcing tears back. He scoffed audibly as if he was annoyed with my responses.

"You need to accept the rejection, Adaline. I am done with your lies."

"I'm not going to accept the rejection, Nikolai," I countered.

His nostrils flared outward. His hand swooped back down and he cupped his hand around my upper arm roughly. His fingers dug into the muscle of my tricep as if he was anchoring himself. He ripped his arm towards him and flung me onto the floor. The covers ripped off of me, revealing my bump. His orbs locked in on my huge bump and he erupted with a loud growl. He began to reach for me, but I desperately began fighting him off. Before long, his hands found themselves around my neck, attempting to squeeze the life out of me. I frantically began clawing at him, trying to get him to stop. Tears spilled down my face.

"Who's pup is that? Huh? You just go around spreading your legs for everyone," he mocked, spitting in my face. I shook my head rapidly.

"They are yours," I croaked out. He dryly chuckled and reduced his grip on my neck.

"I don't want your pathetic pups as my heir. I already have another mate picked out and she will give me what I want," he spat out. He ripped his hands away from me and stood up. I tried to scurry away from him but to no avail. He began to kick and punch me, seemingly targeting my stomach, for what seemed like an eternity. I began fading in and out of consciousness. He spits on my bloodied body on last time before retreating out of the room.

Hours seem to pass as I lay against the cool hardwood. I watched the dying flames of the fireplace, glancing up at the wooden Goddesses. I silently pray that my pups have survived Nikolai's rampage. I felt hallow and betrayed by fate. Small sobs and tears escape from my face as the pain dashes through my body. I will heal eventually, but at the moment, I seemed to be paralyzed. I was seemingly fastened to this spot on the ground. I had attempted to reach out for my wolf on several occasions but never hear a response, as she has been dormant for the last few months.

I watch the rays of light begin to beam into the room, indicating the arrival of the morning. I watch as the shadows of the bars begin to shift with the rising of the sun. Eventually, my door swings open with no indication of the doors unlocking. Nikolai must have left them unlocked when he ran out of here, I thought. I look forward, making eye contact with a pair of brown leather shoes. The tray of food drops out of his hands and splattered onto the floor. He charges toward me and drops to his knee. His hands begin to rotate my body carefully and my gaze looks onto a distraught looking Rubio. I lay in his arms limply and whimper.

"Who did this to you? The Council?"

I begin to cry again, "Nikolai."

A dangerous and unexpected visitor can release many dark secrets.