Chapter Twelve: Appeal

Rubio helped me get cleaned up and presentable. I was littered with bruises, especially around the sides of my neck and my lower abdomen, but they were slowly healing. Rubio refused to leave my room. He was persistent that Nikolai getting into the palace and attacking me was somehow all masterminded by the Council. He was convinced that they were trying to kill me for disrespecting their sentencing and traditional law procedures as they did with Grace decades prior.

Rubio and I fell into a tranquil silence. I continued to lounge in bed, trying to facilitate some quick healing. We were both waiting for 14:00 to roll around. I was more anxious than ever to go back into the courtroom. Maybe Rubio was right, they could be behind all of this. I couldn't fathom how Nikolai would have even stepped a foot into the High Council's Palace without being allowed in. This place was heavily guarded and no one came in or out with an Elder's approval.

"We have about 20 minutes before the guards come," Rubio spoke while impatiently looking down at his watch. I huffed.

"What are you going to say," he asked while leaning back into the sofa.

"That they really don't have enough evidence to convict me of such high crimes. Without any more evidence that a video and picture, it would be unethical to condemn me to death. They should at least have had an eyewitness to identify me, a weapon, and fingerprints. Not to mention, I have never acted out of turn in my life and this would be a first-time offensive if I was the one who truly tried to murder the Queen."

"Bravo, but what if someone does place you in the Royal Palace?"

"Then I argue that it was too dark for them to tell. In the video, I could hardly make out any features."

"Well, let's hope the Goddess in on your side today because the Council will not take being undermined lightly."

I sighed, "You are right. This is a huge risk that I am going to take, but no reward comes from playing it safe."

Rubio looked at me and smiled, "you have become a great friend of mine. Remember that I will be with you until the very end if it comes to it."

"Thanks for everything, Rubio. You have truly been a friend through all of this mess. Just remember me when you watch over my pups."

I sadly smiled, feeling as if I was muttering my formal goodbye to Rubio. He nodded in acceptance. The door opened, causing both of us to look over at the two guards.

"Adaline Schultz, it is time," one of the guards said.

I looked over a Rubio and gave smile a nervous smile. We both stood up and walked forward towards the courtroom. I intensely observe my surroundings as this is the first time that I have viewed anything other than the compounds of my room in half of a year. We soon arrived in front of the courtroom's familiar duel corridor and the door is pulled open by both guards. I am glued by my soles onto the floor, but Rubio gently propels me through the doorway with his hand on my lower back. I proceed to the table and chair that was arranged in front of the Head Elder's vacant seating. I sucked in a breath and took my seat.

Within a moment, the Head Elders shuffled into the room and into their seats while remaining in sync. The Head Elders look annoyed at my presence. I desperately looked back at Rubio, who was sitting in the sea of people who had been seated behind me. He gave me a reassuring nod before I turned around to face the Head Elders. One of the Head Elders, who was seated dead in the middle of the front row, rose to his feet and began to speak loudly.

"Here we have Adaline Schultz, formerly known as Luna Adaline Emerson of the Riverwood pack. Today, she is appealing her charges of treason and attempted murder of the Queen-"