one

Beatrice Hale's power was not a gift given to her by the gods

Beatrice Hale's power was not a gift given to her by the gods. It was a curse given to her by the Dark Lord.

She had the ability to fall asleep as a vampire, but as soon as she laid on a bed and closed her weary eyes, she received nightmares.

The nightmares were memories of people - some were people currently in her life and some were people she would meet in the future.

But the memories were never good memories; the day you were born, the day you got married, your first boyfriend or girlfriend, graduating.

The memories Beatrice received were horrible ones; an abusive family, suicide, your first breakup, throwing up on stage, having a period stain.

Memories from humans weren't as bad as memories from vampires. Vampires lived longer and went through too much to get to where they were.

Jasper, the general who killed for love. Alice, the woman admitted into a mental hospital for her visions. Emmett, the man attacked by a bear in nature. Edward, a pianist who watched his family die of the Spanish influenza. Carlisle, an older vampire who had done things during his time with the Volturi. Esme, a woman who suffered from a miscarriage, then committed suicide. Rosalie, a beautiful woman who had been raped by multiple men in one night.

Then, there was Beatrice. She was once a teenage girl with dreams of becoming a musician. But instead, she became a harlot to survive.

Greece was not a safe place for a young woman like her. Fights broke out between men who wanted to prove their worth every night. Women were dragged by their hair and into strangers' beds every night.

In the early 1800s, Athens was filled with students of classical art and architecture. By the nineteenth century, early travelers were returning with tales of the glory of ancient Greece. Everyone wanted what was in Greece. To the intellectuals of Europe and Great Britain, the ancient Greeks were like gods. They had the most beautiful art and the smartest scholars only modern people could hope to one day attain.

Beatrice wished she was born in Athens. Instead, she was born in Nafplio, the neighboring city of Athens. While Athens was rich in scholars, musicians, and art, Nafplio was rich in harlots, wine, and hotels. It was full of drunkards and naked woman, eager to please.

She despised her profession and she despised how she had to act sweet for her clients. She never enjoyed anything they did. She didn't like how they touched her or forced her to touch them. She didn't like where her mouth had been, but the things she did were all for food and a roof over her head.

But one night, one of her clients was a vampire visiting from England. He bit her during their late night intercourse, changing her. Except, he didn't know he changed her. He left back to England the morning after with the belief that she was dead. Beatrice woke up two days later, covered in blood.

She had no one to guide her or talk to her. She was constantly thirsty no matter how much water she drank. She could smell and hear better. Her complexion was paler and smoother, her voice light and feathery, and her eyes were red.

She didn't understand any of it, but she was so thirsty. She drained over twenty people in a single night. She found strength in her new form and she liked it. She hated being weak like before, but in the end, she still didn't want to be alone. She did not like Greece.

She would leave her door open every night for the Cullens to comfort her if needed. Whenever she woke up screaming from the nightmares, one of the Cullens would comfort her. However, if she closed the door, then she did not want to be bothered. Beatrice was a lonely vampire.