twenty-two

While everyone else convened back at the household, Alec held Beatrice back

While everyone else convened back at the household, Alec held Beatrice back. He needed to talk to her alone. Before Edward could leave, Alec finally let Edward know the truth. He sent him the memory of Aro sending him to infiltrate then. But, Alec had fallen too deep in love with Beatrice.

Edward was angry at Alec. He wanted to put Alec in his place, but Edward knew that Beatrice would give him a piece of her mind.

"What's wrong, Alec?" she worriedly asked.

Alec painfully smiled at her briefly before taking her hands and enveloping it with his much larger hands.

"Did you know that Beatrice means another classic pick that sounds as sweet as it did when it was coined? Your name was a favorite with authors like Dante and Shakespeare. It means she who brings happiness," Alec explained. "I really love you. I adore you, Beatrice, but I've not been entirely truthful with you."

"Alec?" she whimpered.

"I did not come to Forks because of you. I came because Aro sent me here to infiltrate your coven. I was nervous that you would be there, but happy at the same time. In the beginning weeks, I sent letters frequently to Aro - to let him know what your coven was up to. But as time passed and I got to know you, I stopped writing to him. I'm sure he already knew why. He never sent letters to me. Jane sent one to me. She was disappointed but hopeful. She wanted me to go back to her. Now, I'm not sure what she wants. But I know what I want. I want you, Beatrice. I want you to forgive me, to not hold a grudge, to love me, to look past my imperfections."

"You didn't come because of me?" she asked.

He shook his head. "I'm sorry."

"So you used me from the start?"

"Yes, but not anymore. I fell in love with you, Beatrice. Even with the mate pull in the beginning, I still didn't want to be with you because you were a Cullen."

"Hale," she corrected.

"There is not much of a difference," he said. "But now, I want to be a Hale with you."

Beatrice pursed her lips. "That was a messed up thing to do, Alec, but you're lucky I'm not the type of person to hold grudges. If Carlisle is willing to properly accept you into our coven, then I'm okay with it too, but I won't marry you now."

Alec nodded. "I understand."

She stared at him, then smiled slightly. "Let's go home."