eight

The woods were a dangerous territory no human or supernatural creature should ever be in

The woods were a dangerous territory no human or supernatural creature should ever be in. There was no telling what could happen in there. Murders committed by humans happened in woods all the time. Imagine the crimes committed by supernatural creatures.

Beatrice ran around the forest, tracking down whatever animals she came across. She wasn't trying to find a specific animal. She was drinking from any animal that she came across. She didn't have time to waste on drinking on a specific one.

But she did enjoy the run. She loved being able to run through the forest with the air brushing through her hair and slapping her in the face. She relished in the darkness of the woods in the night. She only saw green, black, and red. The green of the plants, the blackness of the night sky, and the red of the blood.

"I never knew you could be so savage."

Beatrice froze in her spot, stopping herself from drinking more blood of the rabbit she caught in the weeds of the forest. She dropped the rabbit to the ground and wiped her mouth with the sleeve of her sweater. She was wearing a pale pink sweater that had no designs on it, along with dark denim jeans. It was a miracle she could move around in those jeans.

She stared at Alec intently in a crouched position before she slowly stood up straight and stretched her arms out in front of her body by lacing her fingers together.

"What are you doing here?" Beatrice asked.

"I thought I'd stop by. I did not realize you were at war with the wolves. I thought the Cullens were friends with them," Alec stated, stoic.

"You knew?"

He nodded. "It was not very difficult to figure out how you won against the newborns, even with the general."

"Do the Volturi know? The rest of you?" Beatrice asked, frightened for herself and her family.

"Just me. It is quite odd, really - that I am keeping something from my sister. It has never happened before. We were attached to the hip since birth," Alec explained. "Though she does know you are my mate."

"Joy," she whispered.

He smiled - but it was more playful and resembled a smirk. "A joy it is, indeed."

Then, the wolves howled. Beatrice turned around and stared into the forest. She could hear paws thumping against the dirt and bushes rustling.

"I have to go," she whispered.

"Then you must go - for your family. I've heard family is the most important thing."

She looked back at him and smiled genuinely. "Thank you."