Steven: Bleached

Finally out of solitary confinement, and once again standing before White Diamond.

        The months spent in his mother's room had dragged by agonisingly slowly, but the Amethyst had kept her word, and he had thankfully been provided for. The Quartz guards never stayed long — he knew it was too risky for them to hang around — but he had received a few more letters from the Gems. He had taken to storing them in a little pile by one of the walls; he figured it didn't really matter if anyone read those, if they could understand the characters in the first place.

        In his time away, Steven had rather forgotten how terrifying the largest Diamond could be; but now, as he gazed up at her, he could feel the quaking anxiety settling in his stomach again.

        "How have you been, my Starlight? You're ready to collaborate, I hope?"

        Steven said nothing, eyes fixed on the ground.

        White Diamond assumedly took his silence for an affirmation.

        "Wonderful, dear. I am glad you've decided to integrate as a Diamond."

        "I'm not a Diamond."

        The words were out before he could stop them.

        White only batted her eyelashes. "Of course you are! You know you're just as capable and just as powerful as any one of us."

        "Not you."

        She smiled a little wider. "Perhaps not, Little One."

        Silence.

        "I have some time to think, and I've changed my mind. My Nephrite fleet has discovered another terrestrial planet a few million light-years away. It sounds perfect for you. Shall we get started right away?"

        He didn't want it. He didn't want anything to do with it at all. Sneaking another glance up at the enormous Diamond, he considered talking to her. It didn't seem completely impossible — at least she was listening to him now.

        He took a deep breath.

        "White Diamond, I . . . I'm a Crystal Gem. I just want to go back ho— to Earth, please. We can work something out. I can come visit. I just. . ." Think like a Diamond. "Want a place of my own."

        There was deafening silence for a moment. When Steven looked up, she was standing stock still, eyes unmoving and fixed on him.

        "That's why this new planet is perfect, dear. Now that I know you're ready, you can oversee the colonisation yourself."

        "White . . . Please," he continued, gluing his eyes back to the floor. "I want to go back to Earth. I miss my home. I can. . ." Tell her what she wants to hear. "I can colonise the new planet, but from Earth's moon base."

        He waited for a response, and received none.

        "I'm a Crystal Gem," he repeated meekly.

        Suddenly the Diamond seemed to make up her mind. "That's wonderful, Pink. Of course."

        His shoulders slumped in the heaviest relief.

        "Please go with Pearl. She will take you where you need to go."

        His heart lifted. Pearl. . .?

        A figure merged from the wall opposite and his stomach sank again. Of course. White Pearl.

        She stationed herself next to him, a still, lifeless anchor. As the bubble closed over them, the last of the Diamond's words echoed down to him. "We'll fix you up, Pink."

        A spearing pain. And then blackness.