Alexandrite: Break-In

Amethyst could feel herself trembling as she gazed down at the sheer distance between them and the ground. This was nothing compared to the height of the Temple back at home, but if she was to be completely honest with herself, she didn't always feel completely safe with Sardonyx. She was just so . . . showy, energetic, flamboyant.

        With effort, she averted her gaze and stared up at the humongous structure across the courtyard.

        "Uh, guys?" She had to yell over the riot. "How are we gonna get up there?"

        Sardonyx turned and frowned up at the thing. Amethyst could practically see Pearl configuring the distance in her head.

        "It's too tall for me," she finally admitted, and chewed her lip. "Alexandrite would have . . . difficulty, but it's worth a shot!"

        Amethyst grumbled. She wasn't particularly fussed about the idea of fusing with Sardonyx, but it would be quicker than deconstructing to dance properly. She felt a pang as she glanced up again at the structure. Anything could be happening to Steven in there.

        She sighed. "Fine."

        Before Amethyst even knew what was happening she was sent sailing through the air. Wow, soooo relaxing, guys! When she stopped spinning, she could see Sardonyx below her carrying through with a very flashy, Pearl-esque routine. Does she even know how fusions work, or does she just not wanna see me dance?

        . . . Probably the second option.

        As she fell through the air, Amethyst stumbled through a quick routine, only just managing to set her gem aglow before she fell into the fusion's hand and into Sardonyx herself.

        A bright flash and Alexandrite stood above the torrent of Homeworld Gems, fists clenched by her sides. She raised her eyes to the White Chambers.

        Amethyst cringed inside her, and she could feel Pearl's anxiety, too. Where was Steven? How would they find him? How could they take him before—

        With a roar, Alexandrite leaped from the Pink Courtyard and latched onto the surface of the smooth structure, hoisting herself up. So hot was Garnet's determination (her power) in her veins that in no less than a few pulls was she high above the Courtyards, and, tensing, she looked down.

        The coloured diamonds etched into the giant courtyard were no bigger than dinner plates. The fall from here would poof all of them for sure.

        Alexandrite felt her fingers go clammy and scrabbled against the surface, panicking. Her throat was going dry, her shoulders tensing—

        Amethyst was left free-falling for a moment, frozen in terror, seeing Pearl and Garnet try to grab onto each other — and then she was caught up in a solid, warm hand, and looked up at Sardonyx.

        You again, she couldn't help thinking, but felt a pang of guilt when she noticed the concern in the fusion's eyes.

        "Are you feeling alright, dear?" she asked.

        Amethyst forced a nod.

        "We're almost at the top, at any rate," Sardonyx cooed, and with a few short lunges, they found themselves face-to-face with . . . a face.

        "It's White Diamond's ship."

        Sardonyx pursed her lips. It was such a Pearl-like gesture that Amethyst felt herself smile.

        "Well, in we go."

        Amethyst stiffened. "Wait, you mean—"

        "Meet you inside!"

        And she was sent tumbling down a chute, into a white darkness.