Pearl: Despair

Pearl paced back and forth in Yellow Diamond's control room, twisting the material of the sash in her hands.

        "Pearl?"

        At Connie's voice, she stopped and lifted her head.

        The girl smiled nervously back at her. "Steven's been here before, remember? And he came home, just fine. I'm sure he's okay."

        Pearl bit her lip, shaking her head hard. "You don't understand, Connie. White Diamond is different. He's already been in there for three of Earth's months! What if she did something to him? What if he never comes back? Then . . . Then it would have all been for nothing."

        She felt a hand on her arm and turned to Amethyst. "P . . . he'll come back. They promised."

        Pearl's shoulders relaxed, but only slightly. "Blue and Yellow left . . . hours ago. What if they can't find him?"

        Amethyst's only reply was a gentle squeeze.

        Hoping for some further consolation, Pearl lifted her gaze to Garnet, seated cross-legged next to Connie. The permafusion had been quiet for days — and today alone, she hadn't moved a muscle. Every so often, Pearl thought she saw her tremble, but it was always gone too quickly to be sure.

        She exhaled, sliding to the floor next to Amethyst. "Oh . . . this is all my fault."

        "Pearl . . . no."

        Amethyst settled next to her, sliding her hand onto Pearl's knee. "We're all to blame. I mean . . . yeah, maybe if we hadn't let Steven come here in the first place, then the Diamonds wouldn't have come after him. But . . . you couldn't stop that. Alexandrite couldn't, and she tried."

        Pearl sat back and pulled her knees to her chest, giving a quiet sniff. "I miss him."

        "Me too."

        "We all do," Connie broke in. "We just . . . have to hope for the best."

        "Gems! Pearl, Garnet!"

        Yellow Diamond's strong voice echoed through the space and they all jerked to attention. The Diamond pair stepped through an open panel and into the room. They both looked breathless.

        "She said yes," Blue breathed.

        "She has him," Yellow stammered. "Steven. We can see him."

        Pearl jumped to her feet. "Where? Where is he? Is he okay?"

        The Diamonds looked at each other.

        "White wants to meet us in her quarters," Blue said.

        "Then let's go!" Connie cried, pushing herself to her feet.

        Garnet remained, unmoving, in her meditative position.

        "Garnet! Come on!" Amethyst was next to her in a flash, tugging at her in an effort to pull her to her feet. "We gotta go see Steven!"

        Garnet didn't budge. Around the third time the smaller Gem shoved her she ground out two words, voice low and dangerous.

        "Let. Go."

        Amethyst stepped back, a little shocked, as Garnet rose slowly to her feet. She moved stiffly and gave the air of a tiger on edge. She stood, trembling fists clenched at her sides, mouth a thin line.

        "Okay, everyone's ready? Perfect! Let's go, then," Pearl motormouthed, and sprinted off towards the Diamonds, who were already turning to lead the way. The rest of the party followed.