Steven: Colour

Now, even the steady fusion's hands were trembling. Carefully, slowly, she removed the cap, and with everyone watching, brought it down to Steven's mouth. She let some trickle in, then a little more for good measure, and pulled back, waiting.

        Ten seconds ticked by. Then another ten. Everything was silent.

        Without warning, Garnet flung her arm out and crushed the bottle, raining water down all over the boy. Pearl spun to her. "Garnet!"

        She didn't reply, just watched him intently. Behind the visor, her eyes were panicked and wide.

        A tiny, faint glow lit up his shirt. Then, it grew bigger, brighter, pinker, colouring the whole room, bathing everyone in warm, rosy light. The colour returned to his skin, the volume to his hair, and with a startled gasp, he opened his eyes.

        At first, he was frozen, eyes wide, staring at nothing in terror. Then, slowly, he relaxed, and with evident surprise he noticed the others.

        "Uh . . . guys?" he said timidly. "What are you—"

        He never got to finish his sentence as he was immediately buried in a laughing-sobbing pile. Garnet was the first to release him, pushing everyone back and pulling him up for a proper hug. When Connie wrapped her arms around him again, the strength in them was crushing.

        Steven wheezed. "Guys! I— thanks, but— I can't breathe—"

        Immediately everyone pulled back. They all sat quiet for a few seconds, just gazing at each other. Pearl was the first to break the silence with a choked laugh. "Steven — you're alright."

        And then, much to Steven's exasperation, she swept him into another tight hug. "What do you mean?" he sputtered. "Of course I'm alright!"

        There was a flurry of kisses that left Steven spluttering, but internally overjoyed. When she finally pulled back, he gave her a warm smile.

        CRASH!

        Everyone wheeled around. Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl all summoned their weapons.

        A beam of light shone in the centre of the floor, depositing two huge figures, and then dissipated.

        Everyone sighed in relief.

        When Blue's eyes landed on Steven, she let out a delighted sob. "Pink — Steven! They fixed you!"

        She looked like she was about to rush forward, but Yellow, most likely reading the expression on his face, gently held her back. "That's fantastic. White released her hold on the Pearl, too."

        Steven was about to ask, "What Pearl?" and then froze when Yellow produced a tiny someone and set her on the floor.

        Pink Pearl gazed at them from her knees, eyes wide.

        "Pearl!" Steven cried in delight. "You're free! And White—" his smile faltered. ". . . What about White?"

        Blue Diamond looked fit to burst into tears but Yellow held her steady. Her eyes were hard and serious. "She's gone."

        "Gone?" Amethyst said, incredulously.

        ". . . Shattered?" Pearl breathed.

        Yellow didn't reply, but the answer was clear. Everyone fell silent.

        "It was for the best, Steven," Yellow said. With difficulty, he met her eyes.

        "And . . . what about you guys? What about everyone else?"

        "We'll take care of them, Steven," Blue answered, a soft smile on her lips. "You're free to go."

        Steven was gobsmacked. ". . . Just like that?"

        "Just like that," Yellow snapped. "Now you better hurry it up or we'll have to assign you a Court, too. Goodness knows how that will turn out."

        The Gems chuckled.

        Steven shot the Diamonds a grateful smile. "Thank you. For everything."

        "Of course," Blue said. "We love you."

        He felt something in his chest catch. It was warm and lovely. He wasn't quite ready to trust his tongue, so he just nodded, beaming.

        "Well . . . we better go home, hadn't we?" said Pearl, and everyone turned to her. Her cheeks flushed a little and she laughed. "What, do you all want to stay here?"

        She turned to the Diamonds. ". . . No offence."

        "None taken," Yellow said curtly.

        "Pearl's right," Garnet said, standing. "And Connie, we need to get you home to your parents and to bed. And I doubt they'll ever let you come with us to space again."

        "What are you talking about? I'm perfectly fine."

        Connie grinned lazily, but the shadows under her eyes gave her away.

        "C'moooon," Amethyst whined. "Let's get outta here. I just wanna get back to Earth!"

        "Wait."

        Everyone stopped and turned. Blue gazed at them timidly.

        "Steven . . . you'll come to visit, won't you?"

        Steven shot her a dazzling smile. "Of course! If we can repair the warp pads back home, I can come see you every weekend."

        "That sounds wonderful," she smiled.

        Yellow leaned over to whisper in Blue's ear. "What's a weekend?" she murmured.

        "So, Steven, are we going?"

        Connie captured his hands in her own. She looked hopeful — and very, very tired.

        "Yeah! Just one more thing."

        He pulled away and approached the pink Pearl by the Diamonds' feet. She seemed to withdraw a little, but relaxed when he stopped a few feet away and held his hands out. "You're Pearl, right? White Diamond's Pearl?"

        The Pearl paused for a moment, then nodded. "Pink Diamond's first," came her quiet voice.

        Steven smiled. "Then, do you know about Earth?"

        She shook her head.

        "Earth was Pink Diamond's colony. It's our home. — and it's . . . beautiful. I think you'd love it." She watched him steadily, and he took a step closer. "Would you like to come home with us?"

        Slowly, nervously, she nodded.

        "Alright." He took the last few steps to her and took her hand in his, turning to smile at Connie and the Gems. "That's everything. Let's go home, guys."

The End.

A/N Thank you so much, everyone, for reading my story. It means so much, and every single bit of your support encourages me to keep writing x3
        Have a lovely day, sweeties!