Sardonyx: Tiptoes

"Out of my way, out of my way!"

        Sardonyx's clear voice rang out through the Courtyards and, for a split second, the siege of Gems stilled. Then, almost like a switch had been flipped, they were running, barging, milling perhaps even faster than before. Some of the higher-classed Gems were screaming, some were keeping their heads down, but all of them were fleeing. To where, Sardonyx didn't know.

        "Um, excuse me! Pardon me, move!"

        Being mindful of the crowded Gems was making progress painfully slow. No one was paying any mind to what she needed to do.

        "A little legroom would be nice!" she shouted, to no avail. Up ahead, she thought she saw a flash of white. A short figure was moving away through the crowd.

        She looked down. She was practically being trampled like a common insect.

        "Of course, I have to do everything myself," she sighed, and with a few deft movements she had her warhammer at the ready. She was thinking more of a gentle hockey routine when she saw the bounce of dark curls through a high window. Steven?

        One last unsuccessful push with her foot. "Move, if you please."

        No response to speak of.

        The next moment a handful of Gems were arcing through the air in the wake of her swing. "I said MOVE!"

        Progress was much quicker this way, but now it was raining screaming Gems. She grumbled under her breath, gritted her teeth and surged forward. Three steps to go — two steps—

        "Got you!"

        In a second Sardonyx had swooped the fleeing Gem up and held her in her fist. "Now, would you kindly explain— oh for goodness' sake!"

        A tiny Jasper squirmed in her grip.

        "And where would you suppose Amethyst is, hmm?" She rattled the Quartz uselessly, knowing she would be no help. Thinking out loud just happened to be a rather inset trait of hers.

        "Garnet— Pearl! Sardonyx! Down HERE!"

        The fusion reeled in her panicked excitement. "Amethyst!"

        "ARGH— don't squash me! Near your foot!"

        When she looked down, she found the short Gem frowning up at her with hands on her hips.

        "Oh!"

        The Jasper went flying and Sardonyx snatched the purple Gem up to her face.

        "Amethyst! Where's Steven?"

        "Your eyes are so big! Not so close!"

        Sardonyx obediently held her at arms' length. "Well?"

        "I— I don't know! The last time I saw him he was heading to that big white mess!" She pointed across the Courtyards to the White Chambers.

        The pearl against the fusion's forehead flickered. "White Diamond."

        Her form distorted, and for a split second, Amethyst could see the silhouettes of her components clinging to each other. She braced herself for the fall.

        But then, with a determined expression, Sardonyx pulled herself together again. "Then we know where to go."