Spontaneous

I have a few days under my belt in this hospital. Taylor's parents came down and I expected them to be as heartbroken and worried as I was. But they weren't. That was the weird part. They seamed almost I phased. Scott was anxious and nervous at least a little bit. More so than Andrea. She explained that the things Taylor had done, this was nothing compared to anything. That she wasn't about to wallow for someone who can't even keep it together long enough to carry a child. I didn't know if it was the situation we were under to have her act like this or if it was just true colours coming through.

The whole thing was absurd.

She took Annie off my hands which was nice. Nate came and left as work had him tied pretty tight. Britany spent most of her time with us. She would leave at nine or ten, then show up around seven or eight.

I stayed at the hospital constantly. In her room, actually. No one ever really went in there but me. Sometimes Scott. Sometimes Annie. But that was it. I was there constantly since I came back from home to get a few things and I just kinda sit here. At Taylor's bed side. Watching her chest rise and fall. Praying for some kind of spontaneous good change.

I set my hand on her stomach and she doesn't flinch. I didn't understand any of this. You think you know someone in and out. You learn to love their quirks and their quirks become your quirks and you love each other for everything that the other is. And then trust falls through. Things happen. And then you end up here. In the unknown.

Maybe this was all because she didn't want a child. I shouldn't have pressured her. It was such a stupid idea. If she wanted to proceed with a family she would've told me. I shouldn't have pressured her into anything. And now, here we are.

The unknown.

"I miss you." I say softly and I don't realize it came out. My eyes drift upward. "I miss us. The us that was created in your bedroom eating twizzlers. And I miss the us that sat in the back of a pickup for hours. And I miss the us that used to make out in a diner for the main reason was that... We could. I miss the quiet town and I miss how we could tell each other anything. It's been... Less than a year and things have went from one drastic to another. I know that you're not for the lifestyle we live. And I get that now. You don't like the hustle and hustle. You don't like me not being home. And I understand that. Because every moment I'm not with you... I want to be. Even when we fight, I need you there. My heart is not home without you."

The nurse had mentioned that if I talk, maybe she would hear and it might help her wake up sooner. So I tried to talk to her. About anything, really. Annie. Home. Her parents. Just anything that might trigger something.

"Taylor, I know you won't hear this. We'll, at least I don't think you will but um, I have something for you. Whether you want it or not." I reach down in my jean pocket and pull a very sparkly ring free. "This is why I late that day. This is what I planned on our special night. I know you don't understand. And you don't have to understand. But I want you to have this." I reach for her hand at her bedside. Limp as ever.

The silver ring slides up her finger and it nearly glows under the dim hospital lights. "You're my best friend. My other half. And my person. If there is anyone I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with, it's you. My daughter... I've learnt that family is not just blood. It's love. It's who has your back when you're at your highest point and still there at your weakest. It's picking you up when you begin to fall and holding you until you can stand again. And that's what I want to do for you. Annie isn't mine. She's ours. And if the one in you stomach makes it, then it's the four of us. Our family. Our love."

I bite down on my lip. "I want what's best for all of us. And that is each other. I can't live without you." I whisper and press my lips to her forehead. "Forever."

Another few days pass and the doctor has confirmed that Taylor is slowly coming back to her senses. That her vitals are slowly making their way back to normal. Now it was just up to her to wake up. Doctor Green had stated that if a patient feels at home or are comfortable with their surroundings it may trigger them to wake up. I passed this message on to Annie and told her that she could bring anything to the hospital that reminded her of Taylor.

When she came back, Annie was dressed in one of her many princess dresses, this one I believe was Cinderella. In her bag, she pulled out her Ariel story book. Taylor liked to read it to her every other night. She brought some of her favourite cookies and Taylor's absolute must have slippers as we'll as a quilt her grandmother gave her when she was younger.

So we tucked taylor in and played one of her favourite records and Annie started to read to her a short story from her Ariel story book.

Annie was smart. All thanks to Taylor. This child, she wasn't scared. She just took what came and made the best of the situation. Would it be crazy if I said I admire my six year old for her strength.

"Daddy?" Annie pops into my lap when the stories done. "When do you think mama will wake up."

I shrug. "I don't know, babe. It's hard to say."

"I think it'll be soon."

"Oh yeah?" She nods and I raise my eyebrow. "What makes you think that?"

"She hasn't had a diet coke in like ten days she outta be getting thirsty. I mean, really now."

I chuckle and kiss her forehead. "I sure hope you're right."

"She'll be okay, I promise." Annie whispers, cupping my face with her small hands and rubbing her nose against mine.

I'm convinced by Andrea and Scott to join everyone for dinner. The nurses encouraged me by saying that maybe alone time would do her some good. Just some air. They said that staying here constantly wasn't good for me either. I'm sure you can guess what happened.

I got dragged to dinner.

I honestly was so tired I couldn't even tell you were we were. All that I knew was this booth in the restaurant was the most comfortable thing I've sat on in a long time.

Annie snuggles into my side and I order some pasta dish. I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I left Taylor's room. My head aches and I can nearly feel the bags under my eyes increase. Everything seemed like an out of body experience and the entire time I just wanted to be with Taylor.

"She'll be okay."

"Just take your mind off of Taylor for a moment, sweetheart."

"Can we get some coffee please?"

"She wouldn't want you this upset."

I hear all of this multiple times from Nate and Taylor's parents. It's like Britany and I were the only ones fizzed. We stare at each other from across the table and neither of us can form words or hardly even eat.

I felt like I was loosing my mind.

•••

I return to Taylor's bedside that night. Colour has started to restore itself in her angelic face and the started to lower her oxygen by half of what it had been. I try to talk to Taylor about how much I love her and how much I need her, but sleep overtakes me. My cheek meets the cloth over stomach and I take a soft deep breath before becoming captivated in dreams.

A/N

Hey guys! Sorry this took so long! Only a few chapters left! Love ya all!