The hills have eyes

I knocked on the classroom door before gently pushing it open. The previously noisy room was reduced to silence as all eyes fell on me. I tried to ignore my audience and instead focusing on a tall, average looking, middle aged man staring at me expectantly.

'Are you Mr Walker?' I asked pretending to be confident and bored like Nora said. Inside I was trying not to have a panic attack. I've never been a confident person, Nora was always that sister. She was the leader and I was happy to follow in her shadow. She's not here anymore though, well except in annoying ghost form but for now I'd have to fend for myself.

'I am indeed. You must be our sparkly new student.'

'That's me.'

'Ah new meat or however you kids say it now a days. Go on then introduce yourself.' He spread his arms out gesturing to the class as I tried to stop myself from pulling a face. He may be a little odd but he seems nice enough.

'Do I have to?' I asked earning a few snickers from my spectators.

Mr Walker laughed and nodded.

I turned my attention to my new peers trying not to look intimidated.
'Ok then, I'm Eve and I've just moved here from England.'

'Ah the land of William Shakespeare and scones.' Mr Walker added as he leant against his desk. 'Where in England are you from?'

'Well I'm from a county called Surrey but I went to school in London.'

'So, what brings you to sunny California?'

I tried not to panic. I knew I had to get used to answering this question but I wasn't ready to tell the truth yet.

'A change of scenery.' I answered making it clear I didn't was to talk about it anymore. It wasn't a lie it just wasn't the answer he wanted.

'Mysterious. Ok take as seat next to Zara.'

I scanned the room of unfamiliar faces until I landed on a girl at the back smiling and waving lightly.

I smiled back as I walked in between desks ignoring the eyes following me.

'Right everyone, back to English.' Mr Walker clapped.

'Hi.' I whispered as I sat down next to the girl known as Zara. She was a pretty girl with dark smooth skin, friendly hazel eyes and the most gorgeous long, almost black curly hair.

'You're the girl that's staying with Taliah's family right?' She asked giving me a pearly white smile.

'The one and only yeah.'

'Your accents so cute.' Zara chuckled scrunching up her nose like she'd just seen a puppy. 'I'm friends with Tali, she told me and the gang about you. She however missed out the fact that you look like a freaking model.'

'I certainly don't but thank you.' 
I can remember all the times Nora had been mistaken as a model but me? Nope I'm not pretty enough for that.

'Omg yes you do, now take the compliment and don't argue with me.'

'God Zara stop being so bossy.' 
A blonde-haired guy sat at the table in front of us turned around and rolled his eyes at her. 
'If she gets annoying just tell her to shut up, that's what everyone else does.' The guy gave me a once over and then smiled at me. He was good looking in an all American, probably a football player kind of way. He looked in desperate need of a haircut but it almost added to his charm.

'Ha ha very funny.' Zara replied pushing his arm that he was using to lean on our desk so that he would've fallen forward if he hadn't saved himself.