Let It Go

I was standing in the middle of a deserted country road. Apart from the silhouettes of trees either side of me, the road seemingly went onto darkness. A gentle breeze swept its way through the trees down to the leaves on the ground making them rustle as they flew towards me. I shivered as the cold air eventually danced over my bare skin and through my hair.

I don't know how long I was standing there before I heard the low gentle rumbled of a car engine getting closer. Eventually the headlights dimly shone through the trees in the distance dispersing light onto my surroundings and making sleeping birds flee into the night sky. As the car got closer, rounding a sharp bend and then heading straight towards me I stood rooted to the spot. I couldn't move and the car hadn't noticed me.

The closer it got the more I struggled to move my legs, I was paralysed. I got desperate and waving my arms to alert the car to move out of the way. The driver wasn't paying attention or maybe, still they didn't see me. Just when I thought the car was going to plough straight into me, they slammed on their brakes swerving to the side as my feet came loose allowing me to dart in the opposite direction. I watched in horror as the car lost control, aquaplaning on the flooded road and heading straight into an old oak tree ready to stand its grounds. I watched helplessly as the car smashed into the tree ending the screams of terror coming from the passengers.

This was all my fault. I had to help them, I had to save them.

Smoke was billowing out from under the hood of the car as I ran over to it. One of the headlights was completely smashed whereas the other was flashing furiously as it fought for life. I tried to pull open the passenger door but it was stuck. The door had warped from the impact but eventually after fighting it gave way to let me help my dad. There was blood everywhere, it was clinging to my hands as I tried to unbuckle his seat belt. I was screaming at him to open his eyes, to help me, but it was no use.

'Evelyn.'

A voice called from behind me halting my screams.

I whipped around in search of who was calling my name and saw my Mum walking through the woods towards me. She looked as beautiful as always, her face lightly dusted with makeup and hair curled to perfection. She was wearing her favourite blue dress that my dad had bought her a few years ago. It cinched in at the waist and went down to her knees in loose blue ripples.

'Mum! Help me with dad, I can't get him out!' I rushed but she just shook her head with a sad smile.

She reached up and stroked my cheek with a cold hand.
'Sweetheart you have to let this go.'

'Let what go? Mum we have to help dad he's hurt!'

'Darling!' She took hold of my hand to stop me from turning away and looked at me with urgency.
'You have to let this go!'

'I don't know what you mean. You're not making any sense!'

Tears pooled in her eyes as she pulled me in to her arms.
'Your father and I are so proud of you.'
I melted into the hug feeling comforted but her familiar perfume.

'Let this go.' She whispered. 'Let us go.'

I jolted awake in bed startling Marley who instantly rushed over to comfort me.
'It's ok boy I didn't mean to wake you. It was just a bad dream.'

I sat myself up properly and took a deep breath. I'd been having the same reoccurring nightmare for months but this one was different. It was so vivid. She looked so real, felt so real.

I glanced over and noticed the red photo album lying face down on my bed. After Lindsay got home from work last night, we spent the rest of the evening celebrating my mum's birthday by eating takeout food and watching her favourite films. I couldn't get to sleep last night without having one last look at the photo album again. I must've fallen asleep as I poured over the images, urging myself to remember more of that trip. I guess that could explain why my nightmare has now changed.