My bestfriend and my sister

Apart from one lamp in the hallway all of the lights were off downstairs as I slowly put my key in the front door. As quietly as I could I undid the lock and pushed the door open a slither. When it looked like the coast was clear I squeezed through the gap and closed it behind me trying to make as little noise as possible.

It wasn't late, only 22:30 on a Saturday night but ideally, I would've loved to have gone straight upstairs to my room without having to answer any questions.

I stood in the hallway and waited for a second listening out for any movement but the house seemed silent.
Just as a cocky smile made its way onto my face Lindsay poked her head around the lounge door making me jump out of my skin.

'Hi hunny, sorry I didn't mean to scare you.'

Yeah tell that to my blood pressure.

'How was your study group?'
I glanced down at the bunny slippers Lindsay was wearing and I couldn't help but feel the judgement coming from their beady little eyes as they dared me to lie. It felt like they were shooting daggers at me.

'Oh erm it was good thanks.'
I shrugged my jacket off casually as if I wasn't sweating because of my lie.

'God you kids really are good. Studying on a Saturday night? I'm all for good grades but even I don't expect you to spend your Saturday night doing that. Remind me what was it you were studying?'

'Physics.' I said without missing a beat. 'I'm only just keeping up at the moment so my teacher organised a study group for a few students.'

Ok so that wasn't exactly a lie, I really was struggling with physics. My teacher really had suggested I join the study group but he dropped it when I told him his favourite A+ student Xavier had promised to help me. Of course, Xavier didn't know this yet but I'd find a way to convince him. Or more likely he'd use it against me when he needed a servant for something.

'Eww physics. I don't envy you. Well Si and I are watching the Great British baking show if you want to join us?'

'Are you watching a Mary Berry season because the new ones really aren't the same without her.'

'Oh of course. I would not disrespect Mary Berry like that! We've also got chocolate cake if that'll tempt you?

'That is a tempting offer. Ok well I think I'm going to have a shower but I might join you later.'

'Ok sweetie.'
I bolted upstairs to my room before the judgemental bunny slippers made me feel any worse than I already did.

When I opened my door, I found Nora sitting at my desk in the dark scrolling on my laptop.
'Evening. What are you doing here by yourself on a Saturday night?' I asked chucking my jacket and bag on the bed.

'Well..I spent a couple of hours listening to Karen next door talk to her friend about how she's getting back at her asshole manager. Apparently she spread a rumour around her office that he has a foot fetish, so now he keeps on receiving anonymous pictures of feet in his pigeon hole.'

'Wow.'

'Yeah. Someone also signed him up for a magazine called Footsy. I can't say who did it but I can admit I gave them the idea.' She shrugged nonchalantly.

'Remind me never to piss off Karen. And you apparently.'

'After that I got a little bored so came back here and have since been watching Jonas brothers interviews. Not a bad Saturday night if you ask me.'

'Agreed.'

'So...' she pushed herself away from the desk and gave me her full attention.
'Study group huh?'