Chapter 7

Dylan's POV

I made my way out of the house passing all of the party goers and hoping none stopped me for conversation. Why is Jacob talking to her? Out the front door I took a right and went for the line of trees. I saw Kyle in the truck still and I rushed over. When he saw me his face flashed with fear so he quickly got up and approached me.

"Um, hey Dylan why are you over here?"

"Where's Jacob?" I growled.

"He's in the middle of a conversation with someo-"

"That someone is Keighly. What business does he have with her?"

"I don't know. Dylan listen, she just told me she wanted to talk to Jacob so I brought him over here."

"I swear to god Kyle I will fucking murder you. Where. Are. They!"

He didn't try to fight so he pointed behind me into the line of trees.

I walked over there beyond pissed off. When I approached she had him on his knees and was whispering into his ear.

"Keighly what the fuck are you doing here!?" They both jumped. Jacob sprang to his feet. "Dylan, don't worry we were just-."

"I didn't ask you Jacob I asked her." I pointed to Keighly. She got up, her eyes filled with fear but that was quickly covered up with confidence. She must still be a little afraid of me. "Now Dylan wants to join the party. I was just talking to your boyfriend here ab-".

"Keighly no. Don't." Jacob interrupted.

"Hold on. Boyfriend? What are you guys talking about."

Her smile returned to her face. But Jacob grabbed her arm shaking his head no when she opened to speak but no words left her mouth. He looked terrified as he silently begged her so not share info with me. My mind was racing. I had no idea what I was bracing myself for and their silent argument wasn't helping.

Nothing happened. We stood in silence me watching as Keighly and Jacob had a staring contest. It was as if they were communicating telepathically. His worrisome eyes and her dead cold ones met as they fought each other without words on whether or not to spill whatever truth they were hiding. When they were finished Keighly let out a growl and then turned walking away without another word. Her hips swayed in a seductive way as she made her way back to Kyle and her other friends. She must have lost the mental battle between her and Jake.

He sighed as he turned to me, "Dylan I'm sor-"

"What was that about" I interrupted pointing at Keighly who was now in conversation with her friends.

"Just....nothing. Band stuff." He said running his fingers through his hair.

"Why would she talk about band stuff....here?" I said. I couldn't tell if he was lying or not. He only looked stressed and tense. I wish I could relieve all of that.

Wait what? I mentally shook my head as he spoke. "Yeah, stupid stuff that's happening in the band community. But now that she's out of the way lets go." He grabbed my hand as we walked away from the house moving out of sight from everyone.

Going deeper and deeper into the woods we talked about anything we could think of. Video games, food, sleep schedules, homework, and just school. We laughed about memes and embarrassing stories from when we were kids all while never breaking contact between our hands. It was a perfect night. The party is behind us and the beauty of nature before us.

After awhile I grew tired of walked and sat on a fallen tree. Jacob joined me never letting go of my hand. Every time I focused on the thought of us with our fingers entwined my hand would grow sweaty from nervousness. The small shocks I feel gives me goosebumps and I hope we never let go, in fact, I hope we get closer. "Jacob?"