Chapter 16

Chapter 16:

The cold air hit me the second I stepped off the plane. I shivered a bit as I made my way through the tunnel, making slow progress thanks to my crutches.

My heart was pounding against my chest. Was everything going to be different at home? I had no clue what had happened in the last three years. Everything could have changed drastically and I would have no idea. From what Louis said, though, it was all pretty much the same.

The airport was the same. I followed the flow of people, the man in front of me sporting a bright orange fedora and fire hydrant red aloha shirt. When I reached the baggage claim, five familiar faces popped up.

"Brooklyn!" The twins chorused together, quite loudly and cutely. Before I really knew what was happening, I was getting hugged by my family.

A true, genuine smile made it's way to my face as Daisy's arms clutched tightly around my waist and Phoebe tugged persistently on my arm to show me her loose tooth. They had grown up a lot since I had last seen them. Quite a few inches taller, their hair was longer, and just.. Older.

"Wow, you two have grown up so much!" I commented as I smiled down at them.

"That's what happens." Daisy said all-knowingly, before eventually letting go of me. Phoebe backed up as well. Lottie and Fizzie each gave me a quick hug as well. Next was my mum, with tears rolling down her cheeks she embraced me in her arms.

"Hey mum, I missed you." I smiled through the tears pricking at my eyes.

"I missed you too. Now, let's get your baggage and get you home." 

Home. I liked the sound of that. Not a hotel, not some random place I've never been before. But home. The place where I grew up, where I had sleepovers, where most of my memories included my siblings.

"That sounds wonderful." I said as I surveyed my family.

~~~

"So then, I told Ben that I was actually twenty years old, I just use this amazing anti-aging ointment." Lottie laughed out as we sat around the dining room table.

"I was told that if you rub Nutella on your face it makes you look younger." Daisy spoke up as she stabbed a piece of meat and shoved it in her mouth.

"Dai, I don't think that works." Mum said with a laugh.

"Why would you waste Nutella by rubbing it on your face, anyways? Eating it is so much better." I spoke up.