Chapter Four

Jayde's POV

I hop off of the counter and go upstairs to my room. Zach hops up and follows me. He comes to my door and leans on the frame of my door.

"So you like Jonah, huh?" he asks.

"Yeah, he's cute and sweet," I say.

Zach walks off and goes downstairs. "That was weird," I think to myself. Alice, Lauren, and Christina come in and ask if I want to go to Chipotle for lunch. I shake my head yes.

"I need time to get ready though," I say.

"Okay, we can leave in about an hour," Alice says.

We part ways and go get ready. I get in the shower and make it quick. I get out and brush my hair and teeth. I let my hair air dry. I put on a black shirt with cutouts in the back with jeans and black sandals. I put on natural makeup and meet up with the other girls at the car in an hour. We drive to Chipotle and sit a booth in the front with tons of windows. We see five familiar boys guys sit at a table outside.

"I'll be right back," I say.

I get up and walk outside. I lean up against their long rectangular table. On the side I lean against is Zach and Jack, across from them is Corbyn and Daniel, and then Jonah on the side.

"Hey boys," I say.

"Do you girls wanna go to the beach after lunch?" Zach asks.

I look off into the distance and shake my head yes. I go back into inside and we eat lunch then head back to the Why Don't We house to get changed. I put on my pale purple one piece swimsuit. I put my hair in a fishtail braid and then head out to the car and wait for the other girls. Christina comes out to the car and she's in a plain black bikini with her hair down.

"Where's Lauren and Alice?" Christina asks.

"Still getting dressed," I say.

She rolls her eyes and laughs. About five minutes later Lauren and Alice come out to the car. Alice has her hair half up in a messy bun, half down. She's wearing a grey and white polka dot one piece swimsuit. Lauren has her hair in two french braids and is wearing a white bikini with flowers on it. We all hop in the car and meet the boys at the beach. We all go our separate ways. I lay out a beach towel and watch my friends. Lauren is trying to tan. I notice Daniel is staring at her. He gets up and goes over to Lauren and sits down by her.

"Lauren, you don't need to tan. I think you're beautiful the way you are," Daniel says.

She starts blushing and then she laughs.

"Daniel, you're so sweet. But it's not true! And you can't say anything about because you're not fast enough to catch me!" she shouts while getting up to run away from Daniel.

He hops up from where he was sitting and starts chasing her. He finally catches up to her and picks her up and puts her over his shoulder. She starts laughing really hard and he sets her down. They go run and play in the water. I look over to find Alice. She's sitting on a towel and has a giant cooler by her side. She opens up the cooler and pulls out a popsicle. She opens it up and starts eating it. After she finishes it, she read the joke on the stick. She starts laughing and slaps her knee. Jack is looking at her and laughs quietly to himself. He gets up and walks over to her. He sits by her.

"May I join?" Jack asks while laughing.

"Yeah sure," Alice says.

She opens the cooler and hands him a popsicle.

"You like grape?" she asks.

"No! Grape is gross!" Jack exclaims.

"Good. I was gonna have to kick you out if you like fake grape," Alice jokes.

They both laugh. They just sit on the towel and read the jokes off the sticks. I decide to get up and walk over to Zach because he's all alone. As I'm walking over to him, I see that Corbyn and Christina had built a sandcastle. Now Christina is burying Corbyn in the sand. I laugh quietly and finally get over to Zach. He's standing in shallow water.

"What's wrong Z?" I ask.

"You like Jonah," he says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Look," he says turning to me, "I'm not gonna pretend that I don't like you because I do. Jonah really likes you and you like him. So why are you over here with me?" he asks.

I hug him tightly and go find Jonah. He's talking to a lifeguard.

"Jonah!" I call out.

He looks at the lifeguard and puts one finger out to him.

"I'll be right back," he says.

He jogs over and we meet halfway. We get to each other. I put my hand on my forehead like a tent so I can block out the sun while looking at Jonah.

"Hey," I say.

He smiles big and picks me up. I wrap my legs around him and put arms around his neck. He kisses me and then he sets me down.

"Hey," he says back.

I smile and we lace our fingers together. We walk back over to the lifeguard. He's built well. He has broad shoulders and huge biceps. His abs and his body are so defined. He's really tan and has baby blue eyes and dirty blonde hair.

"Hey Grant, this is Jayde," Jonah says.

Grant smiles and waves.

"So are you guys dating?" Grant asks. 

"Oh uh, no," Jonah says.

"Cool. Maybe we can hangout sometime Jayde," Grant says.

I look up to Jonah and he looks uncomfortable.

"Yeah, I'd like that. I need some more friends around here," I say.

Jonah looks down at me and smiles.

"Oh um, okay. Maybe it can evolve into something different later," Grant says winking at me.

"It was good seeing you but we're gonna hang," Jonah says.

I wave to Grant. Jonah and I walk off. We just walk in the quiet, occasionally looking at each other and smiling. I finally break off the silence.

"Hey Jo, I made up my mind," I say.

"What do you mean?" he asks.

"You know how I said that I think I like you?" I ask.

"Yeah," Jonah says concerned.

"Well I don't think I think I do," I say letting go of his hand.

"What?" he says looking like he's about to cry.

"I know I like you," I say smiling big.

He lets out a sigh of relief and pulls me in for a big hug.

"You scared me Jayde. I like you too," he says kissing my forehead.

"I'm falling so hard for this boy," I think to myself.