Chapter Ten

Zach's POV

After Jayde ran upstairs, it was awkward silence between everyone.

"You kissed her?!" Daniel asks angrily.

"Daniel, I really like her," I say.

He shakes his head then he gets up and leaves. Jack, Alice, and Lauren follow.

"Corbyn?" I ask.

Corbyn and Christina lace their fingers together and leave. I look to the floor and sigh. I decide to head upstairs. I walk in front of Jonah's door to see if I can hear what they're saying. I put my ear to the door.

"Jo, I really am sorry. It was like five seconds. Besides, I don't even like Zach, not even as a friend right now," Jayde says through more sobs.

I feel my heart drop and my eyes start filling up with tears. I wait a few more minutes to see what else they say. There silence for minute or two. Then Jonah breaks the silence.

"I feel like all I've done today is wipe water from your face," Jonah says.

Then there's more silence.

"I really am so sorry, Jo," Jayde says.

"I know Jay. I am too. But I only have one condition for this to work though," Jonah says.

"What is it?" she asks.

"You have to kiss me," he says.

"Fair enough," she says laughing.

"Wait one more thing," Jonah says.

"Uh oh. Okay," she says.

"Don't be kissing other boys that aren't me," Jonah says.

"You have a deal Jonah Marais," Jayde says.

My eyes well up with tears. I walk back downstairs and kick the back of the couch. I decide to go outside. I walk a little ways down the sidewalk.

"Everyone is happy except me!" I yell.

I let out more tears. "All I want is Jayde," I think to myself. I walk further down the sidewalk and that there is some kind of event going on. I walk towards it and wipe the tears from my face. I get closer to it and it's a track meet. I go up to the desk and buy a ticket. I walk past the desk and try to find a spot on the bleachers. It's filled with people. I finally find a spot in the middle of the second row. Right now it's a girl event. A beautiful girl with long caramel colored hair sprints by ahead of all the other girls. She wins the event.

"The winner of this event is Miss Adylyn Jones!" the guy over the loudspeaker exclaims.

"Adylyn," I whisper to myself.

After another hour of watch events the meet is over and they let everyone on the bleachers go to the field to take pictures and congratulate the runners. I walk down to the field. There are so many people I can barely get through. I bump shoulders with someone.

"I'm so sorry," I say.

I look up to see who it is. It's a girl with pale skin, freckles, emerald green eyes, and caramel colored hair. She's wearing a runner's jersey.

"Adylyn?" I ask.

She looks confused.

"Do I know you or something?" she asks.

"Oh uh, no. I saw you run an event. You're really good," I say smiling.

"Awe, thank you," she says smiling back.

"So are you from around here?" I ask.

"Yeah kinda. I live in Santa Barbara. What about you?" she asks smiling still.

Gosh she's stunning. I can't take my eyes off of her.

"Yeah, I actually live a few blocks from here," I say.

"Oh cool," she says.

"So I uh, was wondering if maybe you'd like to hang out sometime?" I ask nervously.

"I'd like that! But I have to meet up with my cousin later. We could hang out for a bit right now if you want," she says.

"Yeah I could buy you lunch!" I say smiling.

"Awe okay! Thank you! But let me go change my clothes and clean up a bit. Could you give me like 10 minutes?" she asks.

"Yeah of course," I say.

She runs off to go get ready. After ten minutes was up she comes out and her hair is tied up in a messy bun. She put on light makeup and she's in a black and white striped dress that goes down to her knees. She has black ankle boots on too.

"Wow, you look beautiful," I say stunned.

"Thank you. You're really sweet," she says smiling shyly.

"Is it okay if we walk? It's really close," I say.

"Sure! I just need to come back and get my car after," she says.

I take her to a small diner a few buildings down. We sit an outdoor table and order food.

"So I never got your name," she says.

"Oh I'm Zach," I say.

She smiles and we continue talking. The waiter brings us our food and we eat and talk for an hour or two. As I'm getting ready to pay, Adylyn stops me.

"I can't let you pay for this. Let me," she says.

"It's not a problem, trust me," I say smiling.

"At least let me split the bill with you," she says.

"Nope, I got it. Thanks though," I say.

"Zach, you're making me feel bad," she says.

"Don't feel bad," I say.

I hand the waiter some cash and reach over the table and put my hand on her's.

Adylyn's face turns pink but she goes along with it. We leave the diner and walk back to her car.

"Do you need a ride?" she asks unlocking her car.

"No, it's okay. I'll walk. But thank you. I do want your number though," I say.

She smiles and we exchange numbers. She hugs me and I immediately hug back. She pulls from the hug.

"It was good meeting you Zach. I'll let you know when I'm in town so we can hang. I had a lot of fun today," she says.

"I had fun too! And yes please let me know when you're in town," I say.

She quickly pecks a kiss on my cheek and hops in her car. My eyes widen and I rub the spot where she kissed me. She drives off and I start walking home. I pull out my phone and start playing game the rest of the walk home. I get back to the house and walk to the front door. I don't look to see if the cars are still here. I don't want to know who's home and who's not. I take a deep breath. I'm so nervous to see everyone after what happened. I unlock the door and gently open it hoping I wouldn't make too much noise with the hopes that I could sneak in without being seen. I look inside and everyone is downstairs on the couches laughing and having a good time. Everyone turns around to see who opened the door. I see a familiar face with emerald green eyes.

"Adylyn?" I ask.

"Zach?" she asks.

I look around and everyone is confused.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were going to visit your cousin," I say.

"I am. Christina is my cousin. What are you doing here?" she asks.

"I live here," I say.

She gets up from her spot and hugs me. I can't believe she's actually here.