Chapter Five

Jonah's POV

We go to the beach and everyone was doing their own thing. I was going to go talk to Jayde but then I ran into someone.

"I'm so sorry," I say.

"It's fine," the familiar voice says, "Wait, Jonah?"

"Grant?" I ask shocked.

We shook hands then bro hugged.

"What are you doing in L.A?" I ask.

"I'm going to UCLA. I'm playing basketball for them," Grant says.

"Oh wow. I knew you were good but not that good," I say.

He laughs.

"Yep, I'm here on a full scholarship," he says.

"Dang. How long have you been down here in L.A?" I ask.

"For about five months," he replies.

"I can't believe we're just now meeting up. Why didn't you text me?" I ask.

"You've had your career going good for you. I didn't want to disturb you I guess," he says.

"You wouldn't have bothered me. Oh hey, are you still doing your recording and editing and stuff?" I ask.

"Yeah. Not as much as I'd like to though," he explains.

"Because of basketball right?" I ask.

Grant was about to answer until we heard someone call out my name.

"Jonah!" Jayde calls out.

I hold up one finger up to Grant.

"I'll be right back," I say.

I jog over and we meet halfway. We get to each other.

"Hey," she says.

"I really want to kiss her right now," I think to myself.

I smile big and pick her up. She wraps her legs around me and puts arms around my neck. I kiss her and then I set her down.

"Hey," I say back.

She smiles and we lace our fingers together. We walk back over to Grant.

"Hey Grant, this is Jayde," I say.

Grant smiles and waves. 

"So are you guys dating?" Grant asks.

"Oh uh, no," I say.

"Cool. Maybe we can hangout sometime Jayde," Grant says.

My eyes widen and I try to hide the fact that I'm uncomfortable with the idea of Jayde being with another guy that's not me. Even though we're not dating.

"Yeah, I'd like that. I need some more friends around here," she says.

I look down at her and smile.

"Oh um, okay. Maybe it can evolve into something different later," Grant says winking at Jayde.

"It was good seeing you but we're gonna hang," I says quickly. 

She waves goodbye to Grant. Jayde and I walk off. We just walk in the quiet, occasionally looking at each other and smiling. She finally breaks off the silence.

"Hey Jo, I made up my mind," she says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"You know how I said that I think I like you?" she asks.

"Yeah," I say concerned.

"Well I don't think I think I do," she says letting go of my hand.

"What?" I ask feeling my eyes start to well up with tears.

"I know I like you," she says smiling big.

I let out a sigh of relief and pull her in for a big hug.

"You scared me Jayde. I like you too," I say kissing her forehead.

We sit on a beach towel and talk. We talked until it was dark. At about 10:00pm, we decided to go home. We get in my car and I drive us home. When we get home, Jayde is asleep in the car, so I pick her up bridal style and take her upstairs to her room. I gently lay her on the bed and pull the covers over her. She slowly opens her eyes.

"Jonah?" she ask.

"Shh no it's okay. Go back to sleep," I say while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Well I can't sleep in my swimsuit," she says.

"You're right. I just didn't want to wake you. Get some rest Jayde," I say.

I start to close her bedroom door.

"Jonah, wait!" she says.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Thank you for everything. I had an amazing day. And thanks for carrying me up the stairs," she says.

"I had an amazing day too. And of course, anything for you," I say smiling.

Her face turns pink and she smiles.

"Goodnight Jo," she says.

"Goodnight princess," I say.

I slowly close the door and walk to my bedroom, the next door over. I change into red sweatpants and get into bed shirtless. I lay on my bed staring up at the ceiling thinking about Jayde. She's so beautiful. She makes me the happiest guy ever. I cannot imagine my life without her. "Man am I falling hard for this girl," I think to myself.