↦Chapter 1 : Dinner Plan

Being deaf and mute doesn't prevent Maddie Young from enjoying some celebrity as a novelist, though her social life hasn't seen as much success, still reeling from a rocky relationship, Maddie has settled for her solitude of an isolated house surrounded by trees, where the only disturbance comes from a motherly inner voice lashing Maddie to poured out more pages on the computer.

Maddie was cooking her dinner as she followed the instructions from the recipe of her laptop. You could hear eggs cracking, onions being sliced, asparagus sizzling on the stove but then the sound fell away as Maddie was a deaf girl since the age of 13. She tasted the dish but made an air of disgust as the food tasted bad. Suddenly a notification appear from the screen. It was her neighbour Sarah:

Nortification ①

Sarah Next door:
-Can I stop by?

You:
-Sure, cooking

She quickly replied to her and went back to cook. She added some salt in her dish and tasted it but it still gave a weird taste. A message poped on the screen again:

System message:

Low battery:
-your MAC will sleep soon unless plugged into a power outlet.

Maddie bit her lower lip and sighed when she made her way towards the table where she placed the charging wire into her laptop where there were books of Stephen king and from other writers. Maddie was a writer and her favourite hobby was reading and writing. She picked up her reddish phone as she saw Sarah's message.

Sarah Next door:
-What are you making?

You:

-Right now just a mess

She gave her a quick reply when she took the cat's bowl from the floor and rattled it. Maddie Young was a lady in her mid-twenties who live alone but with a white fluffy cat as a company. She opened her main door and ratted the bowl as a sign of calling the animal when the cat meowed and placed it's little dusty nostril into the bowl and started eating already. Maddie let her fingertips ran into the soft fur of the animal when she stood up and looked through the transparent door. She could see her neighbour Sarah coming from afar. She smiled when a message poped into her phone.

Sarah Next door:
-Doesn't see any flames. From here anyway

You:

-Not yet

Sarah read her message with a smile by walking with the book in her hand and made her entrance towards Maddie's house when the two woman hugged each other out of happiness.

"Heyy I finish your book",she said as she placed the book on the table.

"I. Finished. Your. Book",she explained by making the signs.

you don't have to sign

"Oh, I know you can read my lips but I'm getting better. Better",Sarah replied and giggled.

Cool

"I um..want to practice. Taking. Another. Class. With. John"

John? Very good

"It's fun. I'm way better understanding it than actually doing it, but.."

So, what did you think?,Maddie asked by showing the sign and pointing her finger at the book.

"What did I? What did I think? Ohhh I loved it"

Thank you

"I umm..",sarah continued as she sat on the small couch of the outside.

"I loved Riley. I loved Erin. They are great characters"

Thank you, Maddie replied as she threw a flying kiss to her. It was a sign of saying thank you.

"I tried to guess the ending. I'm usually on point with that sort of thing but I was way off,she said as she giggled ad threw her hand in the air. Maddie returned her a smile when Sarah asked:

"How do you? How do you that? How do you come up with that?"

My mom calls it "writer brain". Makes me crazy. Any possible outcome is like a movie in my head with many endings. Frustrating endings ,she laughed.

Hard to make the voices quiet, she said and her eyes looked down when they turned to Sarah.

"A...voice?",she frowned.

I have a voice in my head

"Does the voice sound like a kid?"

Maddie shook her head in disagreement.

"You were 13 when you got sick?.."

It sounds like my mom

"Whatever is going on in your brain. I think you are a great story-teller",Sarah smiled.

Maddie blushed and she stared at her when a confused Sarah asked:

"What? Why are you staring at me?"

Maddie laughed and nodded when she explained.

This..means..kisser.. and this means story-teller, she explained when Sarah realised she made a mistake in making the signs.

The lady with glowing red hair laughed when she said:

"Well I'm sure that you are a lovely kisser too",they both giggled when Sarah's facial expression changed as she pointed her finger towards the flickering light in Maddie's kitchen. The sound of the alarm blared. Maddie couldn't hear anything but she ran inside the kitchen which was filled with fumes and smokes when she reached the alarm which was suspended on the wall. Sarah rushed towards the oven and took out the burning dish with a kitchen cloth while Maddie tried to turn off the alarm. The moment the light turned off, the loud siren of the alarm also went off. The cat couldn't bear such a noise, so it make it's way outside.

"Jesus",whispered Sarah as she closed the oven and placed the food in the sink when she turned to Maddie.

I am sorry. Fire alarm

"God! That is one hell of a fire alarm!",she said as she gathered some air.

I have to feel the vibrations. That is why it is so loud. When I'm sleeping, the vibrations will wake me up

"Well, I imagine that could wake up anyone"

•••

----------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Hi there! This is my second book published on wattpad. Hope you enjoy the story ;-). Please feel free to leave out your opinions on the comments and don't forget to check my profile and follow me for more. I'd be grateful if you guys vote already and lots of love to all my readers. I can't thank you guys enough!♡ You guys are the best people out of all! Have a great day y'all!♡

Take care,

Happy Reading!♡

~Aldine💚