↦Chapter 9 : What's left?

She stepped outside and carefully tiptoed the stairs when she ran like a limping helpless dog. She tried to escape when the killer hit her in the head with a large rock. Maddie groaned in pain as she fell on the ground when the killer jumped on her and repeatedly smashed the tar into her head which was exploded with flesh and blood. Three more times until he was satisfied when Maddie's head fell into the other side and said:

"You can't run"

The voices echoed into Maddie's head as she stared outside. Maddie let the single tear flowed on her cheek. She was about to turn the doorknob when she removed her hand and stepped backward.

                                   •••

The killer wheezed as John was strangling his neck when John gargled and left out his last breath. The killer gasped as he removed the big guy muscles under his neck.

                                    •••

Maddie helplessly sat on the floor and stared blankly when the voices inside her head lashed:

"You can't run. You can't outrun him on that leg. I can't outrun him on that leg. The crossbow has to be a perfect shot. In the heart or in the brain. Anything else is not gonna cut it. Perfect shot. And that's a long distance weapon. It's useless indoors. It's really tough up close, and you would have to be close to land a kill shot",said an imaginary Maddie next to her.

"He will be moving. You can't even figure out how to load the damn thing. Go outside. Get the power back on. He could have flipped a switch or cut the wires. And he came and slit your throat. Hiding. Hiding. Hiding. Bathroom, bedroom, loft. Windows in each, all he need is a rock. The loft has no cover, no doors to barricade. Best-case scenario, he doesn't find you and you bleed to death...doesn't find me and I bleed to death. Outside. Head outside? Crawl space. Go back outside. Crawl space. The crawl space. I tried that once. He knows you tried that. There is a little room to manoeuvre, if he figures out you are there...if he figures out I'm there...I don't think you last that long. I don't think I will last that long. You are cold, dizzy, and you're sweety. Your fingernails are blue. Your vision is fading. We are running out of time!"

Maddie blinked and wondered:

"How long before you can't even walk, or stand up, or see? Sooner or later, he is coming in here. He knows I'm bleeding out..Once he is in this house, it's over! He is bigger, stronger and faster. And he has got the advantage. He has the advantage. He can hear you. I can't run. I can't hide and we can't wait. You go outside, you are dead. Too many endings, they are all the same. All the same. Which means there is only one ending he won't expect...Ending..you can't run, hide or wait. What does that leave?"

Maddie lifted his hand in the air when she replied by showing the signs:

Kill him