Review #13

Alpha Deimos by:riyafarewell
Requested by: riyafarewell

First off I want to say that the story is okay but it feels like any other werewolf novel that I have read either on or off Wattpad. What I mean by that is that if you have read a lot of werewolf books here on Wattpad then you should know that most if not all of them usually have the same tropes: Bad boy with tragic back story, shy and timid/outspoken girl who is his mate changes him into a good person and him helping her to be a good leader of the pack, the whole 'he's/she's mine' mate trope, and the mean girl/flirty guy trope.

These tropes are so over used in these kinds of books that it just gets boring after a while.

First off, the bad boy with the tragic past trope is over done in a lot of young adult novels that it seems like authors think that this is what people usually like reading about a lot of the time which is fine for some people but not for everyone. It just gets so over romanized by people because authors expect us to feel sorry for the main male lead to help justify his actions which shouldn't be an excuse for his actions in the first place.

The shy/timid girl trope is also over done as well in a lot of books especially young adult. Like I get the whole shy girl trope is appealing to a lot of people but girls can be outgoing, smart or sporty as well and not just shy and timid. If you're writing any genre of book and you're writing your main female character, remember that the girl can be more than just shy, timid or outgoing as well and can slowly get out of her comfort level without dramatically changing a whole lot without having to do that.

The whole thing of having the bad boy change his ways and then helps the girl change seems stupid since not everyone can change their personalities that quickly or that easily. It takes time to learn how to be a better person and to improve your short comings.

The werewolf mate thing also seems stupid because it makes seem like they can't live without the other person for like two seconds and not get anything done. Like seriously, if they have lives without each other for like 18 years then they can do that for like a few days or hours. Plus the main male lead being overwhelmingly 'protective' of the main female character is just stupid because the relationship is already toxic to begin with that it's not even worth rooting for.

And then you get the mean ex girlfriend trope where the ex girlfriend can't go five seconds without pointing out that she's slept with the main male lead and wants him back, etc, etc.

Like I know it's fun writing about these tropes in werewolf stories but it's just so over done that it gets boring and on top of that we also get the whole 'sold to the rich family' trope in these books as well, that even trope gets boring.

Overall, it has potential but unfortunately I have seen way too many of these tropes in similar stories like it that I was just bored with it by like chapter 3.

Thanks for letting me review your book.

-Traveler_lilly