Chapter 12

I sighed, putting several pieces of meat in bowls with tangled designs. I can't believe that Gilgamesh labelled feeding his lions as an oh-so-important task, not like the beasts will complain if I mess anything up. Okay, they might eat me instead, but that is not the point!

After I have given food for his lions, I looked at him once again. He was admiring his pets quietly, resting his elbow on his throne.

"Are you content, Gilgamesh?" I popped the question because his unusual serenity was too abnormal.

"I am." he nodded, not even shifting his gaze towards me. He must be really fond of animals.

"Am I allowed to ask you a few questions, my King?" I looked at him carefully.

"I give you the permission. Speak." he ordered, sparing me a glance.

"I'm still curious why you rejected Ishtar."

"You really won't give up prying into my private life, will you?" he annoyedly furrowed his brows.

"I just can't comprehend it."

"Many things are beyond your understanding." he stood up, facing me, then turning away. "She wasn't of my liking, at all."

"Why is that, King?"

"I am not interested in a woman who throws herself at me and begs me to love her." it seemed like he was spacing out, but soon spoke again.
"It takes away all the excitement and entertainment of courting and seducing. She is worthless in my eye, not possessing any of those traits my woman ought to have."

"Gilgamesh... Do you have anyone in your mind? Anyone who is suitable for that... Let's say role."

"There used to be someone at some point." he stated without any emotional background.

"What happened to her then? As far as I know you don't have a marital status..."

"Talk about prying into private matters." he grinned, suddenly turning to face me.

"Well, it is not my doing, my friend was so interested in... Everyone's privacy." I tried to save myself and silence fell upon us.

"You were rejected, weren't you?" I smiled, not minding his grin.

"What a vile accusation, what have you based your theory upon?" the demigod awaited an explanation.

"The impulsive reaction you just presented was more then enough to prove the hypothesis." I shrugged, still smiling brightly.

He gasped, and then narrowed his eyes.

"I don't accept your reasoning."

"You don't have to. We both know it's true." I shrugged.

"You really have some nerve."

"I'm just trying to be nice. It's a servant's job to make sure the king is not holding any resentment regarding the past. A woman rejecting you won't forfeit your perfection or make you less of a King." I expressed my opinion.

"That very well may be true..."

"Do you still love her, my King?"

"I think I don't. I couldn't obtain her, that's why I wanted to own her so much. Love is a different feeling, not even close to what I was going through. No need to worry about my dignity, it has not been harmed."

"If anything, her dignity was harmed badly. Rejecting the King of Heroes is an unforgivable and completely unreasonable decision." I stepped closer to Gilgamesh, who wasn't wearing his armor at the moment and I hugged him to his absolute consternation. Before he could do anything to hurt me or push me away, I let him go and started walking away.

"If there is anything you want me to do, tell me. I will return to my duties now." I announced. I almost left the throneroom when I heard his voice again.

"Wait a second, [Y/N]." his words didn't hold any anger or didn't make me believe that he wants to kill me.
He appeared in front of me and I avoided bumping into him by stopping instantly.

"You have all my attention, my King."

"I have an order which must be fulfilled. I accept no unwillingness or declination." he declared, crossing his arms.

"What is it?" I felt a lump formingvin my troath.

"..." He was tentative. "I want you to do that again."

"Do what again?" I didn't quite get what he was saying.

"What you did before..." his voice was so tender and filled with hints of embarrassment, I couldn't stand not to laugh, filling the empty room with glee.

"You want me to hug you?" I asked to make things clear. With him, a misunderstanding could be deadly.

He beckoned and I hugged him tightly which was a difficult task in the beginning because of his crossed arms but soon enough he put his arms around me and hugged me back.
I swear I saw a slight blush spreading across his face but he did his best to hide it.

[...]

After the oddly sentimental events that day, we didn't speak much. I was prancing around the palace, trying to figure everything out and he was doing his duties as a king.

At night, when I was sitting by the tub where he was taking his bath in the dim light.

"Gilgamesh, King of Heroes, may I speak with you?"

"Now, I think you just might." the demigod nodded.

"Why did you want me to hug you?"

Blood froze in his veins, not because of terror though.

"I was eager to experience that new feeling it just made me feel. To be honest, I still feel it. I hate to quote someone I knew before, but 'my heart was dancing'. This is an exaggeration of course, but it engendered worry within me." he whispered as if he was on his deathbed.

"This is certainly something to be concerned about. I really hope my King doesn't have a serious condition."

"I suppose I don't, since I'm feeling perfectly fine and fit. Even better than before... I still am looking forward to solving this issue."

"Have you come up with a possible solution?"

"Exactly, yes. I was hoping you would ask. Your curious nature did pay off."

"What is it then?"

"[Y/N], I want you to sleep with me."

Golden Man (Gilgamesh x Reader)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें