REKINDLED Part 22

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

I know enough about tax shelters to know that buying your own place is a good way to protect our money." She smiled knowingly, "You want us to build a new house and Princess Barn on new property that includes an airstrip and hangar, right?" He grinned, "I should have known you would be right on course with me." She said, " I was thinking the same thing as we were pricing the surplus merchandise." He said, "I know you like our home in Rathdrum, but are you against selling it if we start a brand new life at a new location near Hayden. You don't have to decide right away, we've got time." She said, "I like it, but I'm not married to it. I know that it's a small property and would present problems with remodeling to get more room for children's bedrooms, even after we built the Princess Barn."He grinned, "Exactly, Wow, we sure are on each other's wavelength." She hugged up close to him. "the idea of starting a new life in a new location really appeals to me. I trust your judgment explicitly. You would never do anything to hurt me." He said, "That's right, Baby, and if it turns out that this is not right for us, we will do whatever IS right." They cuddled together tightly in the big chair and talked excitedly for nearly an hour about their new plans. It was getting cool outside and they decided to sit in the Kitchen and study her Aviation materials.

Just then, the phone rang and Dale said, "Hello,...Oh Mike, Hey Buddy, what's on your mind? Uh Huh, ...OK, Just a second..., Sarah, Mike and Debra are in the neighborhood, will it be a problem for them to come by?" She said, "No problem, we even have plenty of the Chili Beef Stew and fresh Cornbread for Supper, if they are interested." Dale said, "Mike, come on over, we already have plenty of Chili Beef Stew and fresh baked Cornbread to have for supper... OK, see you in a few." She said, "It will be good to see them." Dale said, "Baby, do you want me to keep mum about our counseling with each other, it's not a problem at all. Mike and Debra would understand perfectly. It's your call." She looked in his eyes deeply, "Well, let me think about it. I know Mike and Debra are not gossips and would be completely trustworthy. How about this, if I change my mind I will broach the subject." He said, "Good plan, sweetheart. I will keep mum unless you talk about it. And even then I will never talk about it unless you open the subject, with anybody." She said, "Thanks Dale for being so understanding."

She put on some pretty clothes and refreshed her hair and makeup. Dale slipped on some clean clothes and then answered the door. Mike and Deb were smiling at the door. He invited them in and hollered, "Sarah, are you decent." She came out of the kitchen and greeted the guests. Debra was carrying a white cardboard pastry box, and presented it to Sarah, she said "Here's some cinnamon rolls and a few Apple fritters I baked." Dale smiled, "Great, but what are the rest of you going to have for dessert?" Sarah smiled and grabbed the box out of his hand. Mike was smiling, "Better keep the Pillsbury doughboy away from those, he has a $100.00 a day pastry habit." Sarah said, "why don't we all sit in the kitchen and talk. I don't think we have put everything away from the power outage."

The two couples sat in the kitchen and talked about the big storm. Debra said, "Our power is still out, but our area tends to have longer power outages than the rest of the county." Mike said, "Dale, did you happen to find a pocket compass in your airplane? I lost my favorite boy scout compass." Dale said, "We could go look." The two men went out the back door, to the Hangar and looked in the Cessna. Dale found the little folding aluminum and glass compass and handed it to Mike. Mike sat down on the wooden chair, and asked, "Dale, why haven't you mentioned to Tim or Sarah about your involvement in Burl's conviction years ago?" Dale answered, "I thought about it, but I decided not to, because it wasn't relevant to the case and it would have only caused Sarah grief and worry. I don't want her to fear every criminal whom I have put away that gets out. Dale sat down, and asked, "Have you heard anything from the Feds about the case?" Mike said, "No, I don't think there's any problems with it, I think Tim shot straight with us. I believe the Federal Attorneys talked to Burl and let him know the best thing he could do for himself was to cooperate and they wouldn't throw the book at him. Sarah wasn't injured so he could be sent to a medium security lock-up where he could have some freedoms. If he fights the feds, they could insist that he spend time in a max security and you know how tough that is." Dale said, "I'm more interested in how long his sentence is." Mike said, " I've got the feeling that the judge will probably sentence him to a 25 year stretch. He's been a pretty bad actor, and if he makes nice with the Feds, the break he gets is medium security." Dale smiled, "well that is a relief. He certainly has given Sarah problems." Mike said, "how is she holding up?" Dale said, "She's doing well, and a long sentence for Burl will make that last." Mike joked, "Well, those ladies have probably finished their joint analysis of our psychological problems. We better rejoin the party."