Chapter 1

My name is (Y/n) (L/n), and I've been living in Japan for a little over three years now. I honestly have to say that it is so much less hectic than the States had ever been. It was such a relief for me to be able to get over here and finally live a somewhat peaceful life. Of course, I'll never truly escape hero work unless I faked my own death or I actually died, but I liked my job. So there was no point to me doing either of those things. 

"Thanks, Iida!" I said to the kid as I handed him his morning coffee. I was working my morning shift at the little bakery that was downtown, and this kid was in almost every morning. From what I've gathered, he's a UA student. 'He must be heading off to class.' I thought as I proceeded to help the next customer in line. 

Not too long after the shop had slowed down, the news came on.

"And now, an update on the attack on the USJ yesterday that threatened the lives of the students and teachers of class 1-A..." The T.V. speakers spat. Then my boss turned it off.

"I'm so sick of these damn Villain stories. All they want is attention, and that's exactly what the media is giving them." She angrily mumbled as she bustled about the mostly empty shop, cleaning off tables as she did.

I blinked a few times as the news anchors sentence rang in my head. 'Class 1-A, huh? Iida is in that class. Well, I guess that everything is okay because he still came in this morning.' I thought as I cleaned behind the bar.  

Not too long after, shift change came and I was released to go home. I grabbed what things I had and stuffed them in my pockets, checking my phone as well. I had one missed call from an unknown number, so I left the shop and called back. The phone rang a few times before someone answered.

"Thank you for calling UA high school, how may I direct your call?" The voice on the other end of the line said, sounding very rehearsed. 

"Hi, I missed a call from this number while I was working, and I was curious what that could have been about?" I asked, opening my car door. 

"Oh! Would you happen to be a pro hero? If so, I will direct your call to the principle and he will explain the situation." She said to me as I could hear her nails clacking on a keyboard. 

"Yes, ma'am. I am a pro hero." I responded. 

"Alright, just a moment then." She responded. The line then went silent and I waited for someone else to pick up on the other end.

'What could UA want with pro heroes?' I thought, right as somebody picked up. 

"Thank you for calling UA, this is principle Nezu speaking. How can I help you?" He said. 

"Hi, my name is (Y/n) (L/n), and I missed a call from this number, I was redirected to speak with you because I'm a pro hero?" I said in a questioning tone as I got in my car.

"Oh, yes! I called you earlier, Ms. (L/n). I'm recruiting as many pro heroes as I can that are in or around the city. As you may already know, the UA sports festival is coming up. With the recent attack on the USJ, we need to amp up security. And, we may or may not hire you on permanently if it is deemed necessary. Does this interest you at all?" He spoke. 

I paused for a moment, letting what he had just said wrap around my brain. I nodded before speaking. "Yeah. Yeah, for sure. That sounds fantastic." I said with a smile. 

"Oh, wonderful! I would like to meet with you here at UA before the festival. Are you free today?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yes! I just got off work, so I'm free for the rest of the night." I said, starting my car. 

"Fantastic. It would be great if you could meet here at five?" He said, sounding like a question. 

I glanced at the clock and it was 3:10. "Yes, five is fine." I said. 

"Alright! I will have an escort at the front gate of the school to bring you to my office. See you then, Ms. (L/n)!" He said, hanging up the phone. 

I slid my phone away, a smile on my face. I missed doing hero work. I only did it when I saw something happening, so this was fantastic. I put my seat belt on and put my car in drive. I made my way to my apartment and parked in my designated spot. I got up to my place and unlocked the door. I pushed it open and sighed, looking around my little apartment. I went to my bedroom and got some clean clothes. I then went and got into the shower. 

After my shower, I stuck my hair into a pony tail and put on some eyeliner. I straightened out my clothes and glanced in the mirror one last time before leaving. I grabbed my basics and locked my door behind myself. I went down to my car and hopped into it. I made my way to the UA. I parked in the guest parking and went to the front gate of the building. And, as was expected, there was an escort waiting. 

"You must be Ms. (L/n)." He said, offering me a hand. I shook it.

"I am!" I happily replied. 

"I'm Hizashi Yamada, but you can call me Present Mic." He said with a smile. He then turned and started to walk away. 

He looked strange, but in a good way. He was pretty tall, was wearing orange glasses, and his blonde hair was a mile high. He was wearing leather pants and jacket with some sort of speaker on his neck. It looked very similar to my hero costume...

He led me up to the principles office any showed me in. As he opened the door, A mouse, bear, dog, thing was sitting behind the desk. I raised my eyebrow momentarily as I sat on the other side of him. 

"Hello, I'm Nezu. The principle here at UA." He said as he offered a hand for me to shake. I took it and shook his hand. 

"Hi, I'm (Y/n)." I responded. I released his hand and sat back in the chair. 

"Obviously, you know about the sports festival is coming up. It's actually next week." He said. "And, because of the USJ incident, I'm amping up security, for the sake of our safety and our peace of mind. And, depending on how the sports festival goes, we might hire some smaller pro heroes on to continue to patrol the school." He told me. 

"That seems reasonable." I responded, nodding my head slightly. 

"You did say you were interested in the postion, correct? If so, would you also be interested in being hired on permanently as a security guard of sorts, if need be?" He asked. 

I paused a moment before responding. I nodded slowly. "Yes, that would be fantastic." I said.

"Great! Now, we just need to proceed with a small interview, just to ensure your spot." He told me. 

I nodded and he began to ask me questions. 

*****

After a lengthy questioning process, I was released to go home. Present Mic led me back down to my car, and I drove back home. I pulled into my apartment complex and parked my car. I went up to my apartment and let myself in. As soon as I shut the door, my cell phone started ringing. I sighed and pulled it out of my pocket. It was my boss calling. I groaned and answered it.

"Hello?" I said, a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"Heyyyy, (Y/n)!" She said. She only ever acted this way when she wanted me to take someone elses shift. 

"What?" I said, leaving any sort if courtesy out of my voice.

"What are you doing the 22nd?" She asked in the same sickly sweet tone. 

"Working, why?" I responded, equally as sour as her sweet.

Her tone changed immediately. "What? I don't have you scheduled for the 22nd though!" She said, her voice suddenly full of panic. 

"Yeah, I know. The UA asked me to do some hero work for them. I've already agreed and signed the papers, and no, it cannot be rescheduled." I said, my voice monotonous.

She huffed angrily. "Fine! I'll work it myself, then." She said before hanging up on me. 

I furrowed my brow and stuck my phone in my pocket again. "It's not my fault I have prior commitments." I grumbled. 

I got changed into some comfortable lounging clothes and plopped onto my couch. I turned the T.V. on and saw the same news anchor lady as was on in the shop today. I leaned a little closer to my T.V., as they were telling the same story as well. The one about the USJ attack. I guess I got a little too relaxed, as I ended up falling asleep on my couch.