Chapter 5

"Well, so much for sleep." I grumbled, forcing myself out of bed.

I groaned and got ready for the day. I drank at least three cups of coffee before I left for the school. The air this morning didn't bother me nearly as much as it had the day before. By the time I got to the school, I felt partially more awake, thanks to that third cup. I started my day by doing a perimeter check, then running a quick round of the school, making sure everything was where it needed to be. 

"Goooood morning, (Y/n). " I heard the voice of a familiar, and annoying, blonde say. 

My nose crinkled at his voice. "Morning Mic." I said, grabbing another cup of coffee in the teachers lounge. 

Fortunately, he didn't say anything else and I left the lounge, going to my office. 

"It's gonna be a long week." I mumbled as I began to do some work at my desk.

*****

Finally, the week was over. It was finally Saturday morning. The week actually wasn't that bad. I had made pretty good friends with a lot of the staff there, minus Angry Caterpillar and Mic. I met some more of the staff, even some of the students. It was an interesting experience. The students seemed to really like me. I guess that's a plus. 

I had already gotten out of bed and made breakfast for Ashley and I. She was coming over so we could practice before tonight. It had been a while since either of us had performed, let alone together. We were both rusty, and could use a tune up. 

By the time I had dished up the food, Ashley was already in my house. We made conversation as we usually do during breakfast. But, she caught me off guard with one of her questions this morning.

"So, are you interested in anyone there, yet?" She asked, shoving a strip of bacon in her mouth.

I almost choked on my drink. "Excuse me?" I asked, unsure if that was what she really asked. 

"You heard me." She said, giving me a smirk. 

I shook my head. "Ashley, you know where I stand on romance. I keep myself away from everyone. I don't need to be hurt like I was last time. Especially with such an important job, I can't risk having feelings. Especially for any coworkers." I said, taking a bite of my hash browns.

She sighed. "I dunno, you talk about that blonde guy a lot." She said, giving me a playful look. 

"Yeah, because he gets on my nerves. Just like you do." I told her as I finished off my food and grabbed both of our plates.

"Suuuure." She said, leaning back in her chair.

I rolled my eyes and set the dishes in the sink. "Let's go practice, asshole." I joked.

She laughed and stood from her chair. We both went into my bedroom and got set up. We got everything up and running, but not too loud. We did a few warm up exercises and jumped right into it.

***** 

Finally, eight rolled around.I changed into a pair of flattering skinny jeans and low cut, black V-neck. We had packed our instruments up into my car. Ashley was my drummer, and I couldn't be more thankful. We pulled up to the cozy little bar and started to unpack our stuff. We set up and kept my guitar off to the side. We brought mics some nights for people to use, but we weren't always here, so it was a privilege to some. 

We didn't perform until nine, so we had some time to kill. Ashley and I sat at the bar and BS-ed with the bartender until we had to go on. For this place being pretty isolated, it was packed to the brim. I ordered a shot quick before we got up. We both stood and pushed our way past people, getting up onto the little stage. We hooked everything up and gave it a sound test. I pulled up a bar stool and sat, looking back at Ashley. She gave me a thumbs up and I took a breath.