Why Do You Cry?

Loki was just wandering the Avengers tower, most likely in search of food. They had just gotten back from a big battle, and they had barely won. There were a few minor injuries and Tony had biffed it pretty bad, but overall everyone was okay.

Everyone had gone out to celebrate except for Loki, Thor, and Peter. Thor had fallen asleep on the couch and Peter was in his room, telling the two that he had homework to do. Loki was walking past Peter's room when he heard a soft noise from the other side.

He slowly opened the door just a crack to see Peter, crying with his knees to his chest, books and papers scattered all over the floor. Loki's heart sank. He froze for a few moments before quietly walking away and rushing over to the couch.

"Thor?" He asked, gently shaking his brother awake. Thor woke up with a small yawn and a stretch.

"Oh, hello Loki. What is going on?"

"There's something wrong with Peter." Thor gave Loki a confused look.

"What?" Thor asked, his head cocking adorably to the side.

"I don't know! He's just alone in his room and he's crying!" Loki answered.

"Well... maybe we should go check on him?" Thor said. Loki nodded and got himself up, helping Thor off the couch as well. He began to make his way to Peter's room when he noticed that Thor wasn't following.

"Are you coming?"

"Yes, I'll be there in a moment. I just need to use the restroom."

Loki nodded and resumed his long trek down the hallway. He paused once he reached Peter's door, still hearing the small sniffling and whimpering sounds from inside.

He took a deep breath and opened it, not even bothering to knock. Peter jumped and gasped, quickly rolling over on the bed and hiding his face.

"M-Mr. Loki!" He said in slight surprise.

"Hey, kid."

"W-whats up?" Peter asked, trying as hard as he could to make it seem like he hadn't just been sobbing. Loki paused before sitting himself down on Peter's bed.

"Are you alright?" He asked, staring at the ball of a kid in front of him.

"Fine. Why?"

"I don't think you are."

"No, I am. Really."

"Then let me see your face."

Peter hesitated, everything in his body screaming at him to run out of the room as fast as he could. He knew Loki was only trying to help, but that didn't make it any less difficult. He took a deep, shaking breath before sitting himself upright.

"Oh, Peter." Loki said in a voice of sadness at the sight of Peter's face. He was completely red and sweaty, his eyes puffy and swollen.

Loki grabbed Peter by the shoulder and wrapped him an a hug. Peter paused in surprise for a moment before hugging back. That's when everything in him broke down.

He cried harder than he had before, Loki rubbing his back lightly and trying to make sure he was breathing. Loki rocked them lightly back and forth, shushing the poor kid every once and a while to try and get him to calm down.

Then, Thor walked in. He looked at the sight before him, not quite knowing what to do. Loki had noticed him, but Peter had not. Loki made a slight motion for Thor to sit on the bed. Thor did so, rubbing Peter's back lightly.