A Strange Dream?

I opened my eyes slowly but carefully. Somehow, I could just tell that I wasn't in a familiar place. I folded my arms over my chest. It wasn't cold, but it made me feel more protected. Now that I noticed, there didn't seem to be any sort of temperature. I looked around to try and get a good look of my surroundings. Nothingness filled my gaze as far as the eye could see. An empty void. And I was just floating in the middle of it all.

'I don't understand. Where am I?'

I was suddenly blinded by a flash of light. It filled every corner of the nothingness that kept me here. When the light had died down, I spotted a fine-cut gem floating just out of my reach. It had the looks of a diamond, but no diamond could produce energy like this. White and black swirled on its surface, a never-ending war between the light and dark. The strange jewel seemed to emanate pure energy, bathing me in its radiance.

I felt my body unwillingly relax as the light pumped through my veins and give me energy.

I watched the gem with curiosity as it slowly started to produce a soft glow and lower itself to just above my head but still out of my reach.

"Do not be afraid." a feminine voice told me. The voice was melodic and flowed like a river. But there was a firmness behind the harmony. It was almost entrancing.

"I-I don't understand." I stuttered. Not from fear, but from shock. The voice sounded as if it was coming from the diamond!

"You are the chosen Wielder of the Order Emerald." the voice calmly replied.

Ok. What.

"What?" I said aloud, repeating my thoughts.

"Let me start from the beginning. My name is Tikal. I am an entity that dwells within what is known as the Master Emerald."

I blinked. "What is the Master Emerald?"

"The Master Emerald is the one that unifies the chaos. It is the controller of the seven Chaos Emeralds. In description, the Master Emerald looks exactly like the emerald in front of you, but bigger in size and green in coloration." Tikal explained.

"What is a Chaos Emerald?" I asked, getting a little frustrated at such vague answers I was receiving.

"A Chaos Emerald is a gem of unlimited power. But this power is chaotic and unpredictable, hence their name. In front of you is the Order Emerald, a special emerald that needs to be guarded over and protected. Many people search for it in hopes of using its dark power, but it is never found."

"Then how is it here?" I remarked.

"The emerald choses its protector. It has been this way for as long as the emerald has come into existence. It defies the Master Emerald and is its own controller." responded Tikal.

"And what about the other Chaos Emeralds?" I questioned.

"They must obey the Master Emerald. It is not within their power to act on their own accord. And it is your duty as the Wielder to remember what each emerald represents." she said.

A green light filled the dark void, but it wasn't bright enough to blind me. I watched in awe as the light died down and in its place was another emerald - one I assumed was a Chaos Emerald. It's green glow contrasted against the colorless area.

It hovered near the other emerald, both emitting strange but welcoming energy.

"The green emerald represents energy and life." Tikal said.