14. Rebels

When morning comes I discover that I still feel the same way I did last night. Honestly I didn't really expect it to change, but I had wondered if maybe it all seemed so intense because of how it played out. Yet as soon as I open my eyes I can feel it there again—the lust, desire, the desperate yearning for something I'm not supposed to have. Of course this is just one more thing to overcomplicate an already difficult situation, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about it. I'm also not sure what to do about the jock sleeping in my bed.

Gentle snores fall on my ears, so I know he's not awake yet as I sit up and stretch. My body's stiff and sore from laying on the floor all night, but there weren't a lot of options. I grab my phone and turn it on, seeing the missed calls and messages my dad left for me last night. As if there was ever any doubt, I know we're going to end up in another argument. It's probably for the best that I hadn't bothered checking my phone when I got back to the house, I would've been too wound up to get any sleep. Not that I did very well anyway, but Brent seems to have made out alright.

"Hey, wake up." I hate to disturb him, and not just because he looks so cute as he lays there snoring. He won't be drunk now, and I'm not sure what all he'll remember, or even how he's going to act around me this time. There's no point in delaying the inevitable though, so I give him a gentle shake when he fails to react.

"Jesus Christ, what time is it?" Brent startles awake, highly aware for half a second before he notices me and settles back down. After a quick yawn he rubs his face and covers his eyes, groaning loudly. "My head's killing me, I should probably take your advice and lay off the beer."

"Maybe just drink a little less, idiot." It's been too long since I had the chance to tease him, so I take full advantage of it. Immediately I'm relieved to hear him mention what I'd told him last night, because it means he does remember, and it puts me in a better mood despite the rest of my shitty life. "Quit complaining, it could be worse, your back could be killing you too."

"Did you sleep on the floor?" His tone is incredulous, and he shoots me a look while I stretch again that informs me of how stupid he thinks that is. It takes a lot of effort on his part, but he manages to sit upright on the bed, and he hangs his head low as he rubs his neck. "You should've just told me to move the fuck over."

"I'm pretty sure you were dead to the world." I scoff and brush it off, but now I can't stop picturing myself snuggled up right next to him. The thought is dangerous, because it makes me feel all those same things again, and I have to work to put away the craving so it doesn't ruin this for me. "Besides, I think you needed the beauty rest more than I did."

"Wait a minute, was that a shot? Fuck you." He laughs, falling into our old camaraderie, and suddenly we're the same people we've always been in this room. It feels so good to have it back, it makes me wish it didn't have to end.

"You should go." My retort comes after I've humored him with a laugh of my own. It makes me feel even better when his expression changes, and I realize he doesn't want it to end either. He seems confused, as if wondering if he's said something wrong, but he obviously doesn't understand what needs to happen next. "Trust me, you'll want to be long gone when my dad comes up here. I'm surprised he's not beating down the door already."

"Well shit, maybe you should come back to my place." Brent offers, and I think he's kidding at first before I meet his gaze. I'm touched, and even though I know I can't accept I have to fight myself from saying yes.

"I don't want to make it worse, it's better to just get it over with. It's fine, I know how to handle him." Even though I hate lying to him it's for the best. There's nothing Brent can do to help me, but at least I can make sure he's not caught in the middle of my drama. He thinks about it for a little bit, but even though he's got his doubts he gets up anyway. This time he only offers half a smile, then he skirts around me as he heads for the door. "What are you doing? You can't go through the front."