Chapter 23

Later that night, my maids had put me in a beautiful deep purple dress. The bottom flowed outwards, it had a few layers to make it so. It dipped into am extremely deep v-neck to top of my waistline. The bodice of the dress was beaded and patterned with silver and clear shiny beads. It was amazing.
"This is the most beautiful dress I have ever seen!" I exclaimed, hugging Emma. She had been the only maid to assist me with getting ready. Amy and Teony were helping clean and fix the castle.
"Thank you, miss." Emma said, smiling. She had put my hair into a beautiful up-do, curling all of it and pinning it up. I looked around at my room, the only place I had seen so far that had been untouched.
"Are you alright miss?" Emma asked.
"Of course Emma." I said. A knock came from the door. Emma went and opened it revealing Archer.
"Let him in." I said, and he walked in. "You can go." I said to Emma. She nodded and left.
"You look stunning." Archer said, taking in my dress.
"Thank you, Love." I said, smiling. He came over and kissed my cheek gently. I put my hand on his cheek, rubbing my thumb over his cut lip.
"Does it hurt?" I asked.
"Not really. I'm used to it by now." He said. I pulled his head down ever so slightly and touched his lips to mine gently. He took in a quick breath of pain.
"I'm sorry" I muttered, backing away slightly, and looking down. Before my eyes reached the floor, Archer met my lips with his. His kiss wasn't rough, but he pulled me in close and held on tightly. His lips were soft except for the small cut which I could feel ever so slightly. One of his hands was around the back of my neck, the other around my waist, and my hands were around his neck. First the first time I realized he smelled like vanilla. He backed away, breathing quietly.
"You smell like cinnamon. I adore cinnamon." He said, and I felt his smile on my lips.
"And you smell like vanilla, something I adore almost as much as you." I said. My words spilled out of my mouth like water from a waterfall, and I meant every word I said.
"I'm so glad you're safe. I'm so glad you're okay, and that I didn't have to worry about you." He said, kissing my cheek gently.
"Me too. I was terrified, but it was better with you there." I said.
"Who was that guard. The one who almost..." He didn't finish his sentence.
"Evander. We were...close at home." I said.
"You knew him?" Archer asked.
"You could say that." I muttered. He backed away, looking in my eyes.
"What do you mean by that?" He asked.
"We have a long...history." I said.
"So you two dated?" He asked.
"Not exactly." I answered, not wanting to give an explanation.
"If you tell me why you had a breakdown over a "random" guard, I will tell you want happened to me." He offered. A trade. Something that could get me kicked out for something that would likely never happen again.
"I don't know." I said.
"Please Lynnie?" He asked. Lynnie. I just realized it then, but he had been calling me Lynnie. Cute.
"You go first, okay?" I asked. He nodded, and took a breath.
"My father was...not happy about what I did for Jaxon and Harmonia last night. He had done this kind before, but nothing this bad." He said.
"He...hit you?" I asked, letting out a little gasp.
"Sort of. I guess you could call it that." He said.
"Archer what did he do to you?" I asked, placing my hand hesitantly on his cheek.
"He pushed me...and then hit me...a few times." He said. I let out a small cry, my bottom lip trembling.
"You're lucky you came out of that with only some bruises and cuts!" I exclaimed. "Why did you not tell me this sooner? I could have done something, I could have helped-"
"There is nothing you could have done Lyn. He hates me for what I did. He believes in things being fair and orderly. I change things." He said.
"I talked to your Father this morning. He told me I could never be Queen if I wanted to stand up for what I believed in." I told him.
"That's crap! You would make an amazing Queen. I...I want you to be Queen." He said. I looked up at him, my smile bigger than my face.
"Are you serious?" I asked. He nodded. I jumped into his arms, hugging him tightly. He chuckled.
"Now it's your turn." He said. I sighed, and went to my desk. I opened one of the drawers. I kept everything important in this drawer. My mother's journal, the rose broche from my mother, and also...I pulled out Evander's ring.
"Amberlyn...?" Archer asked, taking a step back as I turned around with the ring.
"It's a bit of a story." I said.
"So you're engaged." He said, his face falling. He bit his bottom lip.
"No, Archer-"
"Amberlyn, I have to go. You should get going soon too or you'll miss the News." He said, and began to leave my room.
"Archer come back, please." I begged, grabbing his hand. He shook me off, and slammed my door closed. I threw the ring in the drawer, and shut it, sitting on my bed. I played with the ends of my dress as I calmed myself down. I decided I would go to the News. Even if I was eliminated, I would go. I stood up and left.