Chapter Eleven

I had to drag myself out of bed Wednesday morning, and without my coffee, I could already tell this was going to be a horribly long day.

I kept my head in my phone, blocking out everything else until Percy came to walk me to my classes. It was getting easier, since by now I'd been to pretty much every classroom, but the morning walk was still nice.

The only classes I hadn't been to yet were Care of Magical Creatures and Defense Against the Dark Arts, and I had both of them today.

Care of Magical Creatures was my first period, and I was a little surprised when Percy headed straight out the front doors.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Hagrid's hut, on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. That's where Care of Magical Creatures is being held."

"That is a long way from the school," I noted.

"It's not a bad walk." I couldn't tell if that meant he agreed or was trying to get me to stop whining, so I didn't respond. Instead, I changed the topic.

"So you're a seventh year, right?"

"That's right."

"What are you going to do after you graduate? Is there a wizard college or... what?"

"No, this is the end of our magical education. I'm hoping to secure a good position with the Ministry."

"Wizarding government?"

"Yes. My father works there now, in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office. I don't have much interest in that sort of job. I'm more interested in the Office of the Minister."

"Do you want to become the Minister?"

"One day." Percy smiled like he was imagining it, then turned back to me. "And you? What are you looking at doing after Hogwarts? You do have some more time to decide..."

"Oh... well, I'm actually probably going back to the muggle world," I answered. "I'll join my dad's company. Change the world, and all that good stuff."

"You don't have any interest in staying in the wizarding world?"

"I mean, I don't know..." I said, not wanting to completely alienate Percy. "Everything I've seen so far has been pretty cool, but it's not like there's a ton of job opportunities."

"Well, once I get a job at the Ministry, I'd be more than happy to let you shadow me and get an idea of what you can do."

"Thanks Percy. I might just take you up on that offer."

By now we'd gotten to Hagrid's hut, and unfortunately, it was time to start the uphill walk back.

Now I understood the real reason there was no PE at Hogwarts. They didn't need it. The classes were so insanely spread out between the grounds and the stairs that passing periods were PE.

My other classes were all in the castle, which I was seriously thankful for. After touring everywhere I had to go today, it was time to head back out to Hagrid's hut.

Yay.

I managed to get there on time, and the class went well. I was looking forward to learning more about all the crazy magical beasts that apparently existed, and I was relieved when we didn't get homework. All of my classes seemed to be easing us in to the new school year. Finally, it was time for Defense Against the Dark Arts, my last new class and my last class overall before dinner.

I sat down with Lee, our other friends around us, and waited for the teacher to come in.

"I've heard amazing things about this teacher," said Fred, leaning forward to talk to us.