Chapter Forty-One

We spent the rest of Thursday and most of Friday exploring the space center, then boarded a plane back to New York Friday night. It was New Year's Eve, and I would just make it home in time for my dad's big New Year's Party that he held every year. Hopefully Strange would wait until the next day to test my sling portal abilities, but I had a feeling that he wouldn't.

Fortunately, I pretty much had it down. The only problem, I realized on the plane ride home, was that I practiced on the room I would be standing in when Strange tested me. I just had to hope my memories and feelings of Gryffindor Tower would be enough for me to generate a sling portal there without practicing.

At the very least, I knew I could conjure Strange's study in the tower if I ended up on a frozen mountaintop.

I parted ways with the rest of my group at the airport, where Happy was waiting with a sign and a car to pick me up.

"How was the trip?" he asked, pulling away from the curb once we got my suitcase loaded.

"It was great! Space isn't really my thing, as I'm sure you know, but it was still really cool. I got to bond with my teammates too, which was nice. Especially since we might all end up at MIT together in a few years."

"Even the asshole?" asked Happy. I'd vented to him about Jackson more than once over the summer.

"Even the asshole! I don't know why, but he's been way less of a jerk lately."

"That's weird."

"Yeah, I know. Whatever changed though, I'm happy about it. It was nice getting along with everyone on this trip instead of constantly having to fight that guy."

Happy chuckled. I didn't tell him any more, but I actually talked to Jackson more than either of my other friends on this trip. It was weird for sure, but it was nice. I even managed to dance around the Hogwarts stuff enough to tell him about the school without giving anything away.

He still wouldn't talk to me much about his mom or what she did, but from the way he acted when it came up I got the impression that his story was a lot like mine: A kid expected to go into the crazy smart family business even though they weren't really sure that's what they wanted.

It was nice to find somebody that related to that. Maybe, if he didn't suddenly turn back into an asshole as quickly as he stopped being one, we'd be able to talk about that someday.

When Happy and I finally got back to the Tower (traffic in New York was the WORST, especially on New Year's), I was greeted with another round of big hugs from everyone. Then, before I could say so much as 'Happy New Year's', Strange was dragging me away to his study.

"Do we really have to do this now?" I whined.

"Yes. That was the deal. Unless you want to do it once the party's in full swing?"

"Ugh, no. Fine, let's go."

I stood in the middle of the room as Strange stared expectantly at me. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, conjuring up the feeling of the Common Room fire on my face. The feeling of friendship, and being completely at peace with people I loved sitting around the fire came to mind, and I fixated on the idle chatter and warm atmosphere that radiated from the entire place. I moved my off-hand in circles, slowly speeding up until I heard somebody scream.

It was hard, but I didn't open my eyes until I was sure I wouldn't lose the feeling of the Common Room. If there was a threat, Strange would protect me while I wasn't looking. When I finally opened my eyes, I saw a portal sitting in the middle of the room, looking straight at Ron and Harry. They were standing from the Common Room couch looking shocked. A glowing portal suddenly opening in the middle of the room probably scared them.