Chapter Sixty-Five

I walked the now-busy corridors of Hogwarts with laser focus. Everyone else was celebrating, running and laughing through the corridors, but I still had stuff to deal with.

I'd go jump in the lake or something once it was over.

I got to Lupin's office and flung open the door, halfway through my greeting before the state of the room hit me. His office looked nothing like it usually did; half of the tanks and books and personal touches to the room were all packed!

"Shoot sorry Professor, did I interrupt something? Do teachers seriously have to pack everything up every summer?" I asked, going to his desk and hopping up to sit on it. Lupin was by the bookshelf, frozen mid-pack and looking at me in total confusion.

"Alexa, what on Earth are you doing?" he asked.

"What do you mean? I came to get some advice but if now's not a good time..."

"Alexa, you apparently don't remember this, but I tried to kill you last night." He had a grave look on his face, and I could tell he was tearing himself apart over it. He expected me to be angry or afraid I guess, but I genuinely wasn't bothered.

"Professor, that's true of several of the members of my family and a few of my best friends. Hell, my Uncle, the one that sat in on your class? He caused my boggart. This whole mess of a thing he did a while ago in New York almost killed my dad, but now he's one of my best friends. I mean, maybe I'd need a few days if you had meant to kill me, but it was an accident! You were a werewolf, you had no control, I moved on as soon as it happened! Now I came here because I need some help with a big problem, but I can wait until you're done cleaning up for the summer if you want. I can help you too, here, just tell me where stuff goes."

I hopped off the desk to find something to pick up, but when Lupin didn't say anything I turned to look at him again.

I caught the tail end of a look that showed just how crazy he thought my life was, before it turned to clear relief at my response. Finally, he looked up from the books around him to me, with a reserved look on his face.

"Alexa, I truly appreciate what you said, and I'm glad I didn't hurt you. I'd be happy to help you with your problem, whatever it is, but I'm not just packing up for the summer. I resigned."

My mouth dropped open as I tried to process what I'd just heard. A million different things popped into my head, and I wanted to say all of them, but I couldn't decide on just one thing.

"Why?" I managed to choke out, although it sounded strangled.

"Professor Snape has known about my... furry little problem... for years. This morning he, ah, let it slip to a few of the members of his house, and I'd be surprised if every student and parent weren't completely aware by the end of the day. Tomorrow the letters from parents will start coming in, and this way Professor Dumbledore will be able to tell them that the issue has already been resolved."

Again, a million things came to mind as the outrage showed on my face. This time I took a minute to collect myself and I settled on a few choice phrases to communicate my overall sentiment.

"Professor, that's bullshit." His eyebrows raised a bit at the language, but he didn't say anything. "You're the best teacher I've had in my entire life! And I've been to some amazing schools so that's saying something! You're one of the best people at this school, and you shouldn't have to resign over a 'furry little problem'! I'm sure people will understand if you explain what happened, whatever it was. I mean, come on, this has only been a problem once. You clearly have it under control!"

Professor Lupin sighed and set down the book he was holding. He walked over to his desk and leaned against it, and I could tell whatever he was about to say would not be pleasant.