Chapter Twelve

A/N: Thank you guys so much for 1,000 reads!! Your support means the world to me! ❤️❤️

****************

Once I joined my friends at dinner, I immediately got back to fixing my phone. Muggle school started tomorrow, and I swear I could feel my dad agitating about not hearing my voice yet since I'd gotten on the train. I decided I wouldn't go to sleep until I finished fixing my stupid phone, no matter how long it took.

****************

"Alexa, what are you still doing up?" Percy asked, wandering sleepily into the common room just after midnight. All my friends had gone to bed a while ago, but I was keeping my promise to myself to finish fixing my phone before I went to bed.

I was kinda starting to regret that decision, but I wasn't about to give up now.

"I'm fixing my phone," I mumbled, only half paying attention to him and not looking up from my screens.

"You should've gone to bed ages ago," he continued.

"Look Perce, I know you're right. And I know I'm gonna regret this in the morning. But I started this damn project at dinner and I am going to finish it."

"As Head Boy, it's my job to make sure you get to sleep."

I sighed heavily, finally looking up from my work to meet Percy's gaze.

"Okay, here's the thing. I will finish this before I go to sleep. If you make me go to bed, it's just gonna mean I finish it sitting on my bed instead of in the common room, which I can easily do. It's just more comfortable here. So you go to bed. I promise I'll go up as soon as I'm done with this."

"Alexa, I really can't let you do that. You need to go to bed."

I glared at him, but he stubbornly crossed his arms.

"Dude. Seriously?"

"Seriously."

I threw my head back and whined. "Ugh! Dammit Perce! Fine, I'll go."

I picked up my electronics in a huff, marching past a stern-looking Percy. I saw him shake his head and turn to go up his own stairs out of the corner of my eye. I debated going back downstairs when he wasn't looking, but I deceived against it. I didn't want to start something with Percy, and I could finish just as well from the dormitory.

I tried to be quiet as I snuck in, hiding my laptop and phone glow against my chest. I drew all the curtains around my bed, and then I was in my own little coding world again.

Even though I knew there were magic spells and monsters and strange demon-looking things right outside, this felt perfectly familiar. For the next hour or two, it would be like I was still in my bedroom in New York.

****************

"Alexa! ALEXA!"

"What?" I yelled back, sitting up straight in bed and looking around wildly. "We don't have astronomy tonight!"

I ended up face to face with Angelina, who was looking at me like I was insane.

"No, but it's time for breakfast. You're barely going to have time to eat before class as it is, and you still have to walk with Percy," she said.