Chapter Thirty

I stood frozen with horror as I watched Harry plummet towards the ground. I wanted to do something, but I didn't know what. Despite all my training, I'd never been in a life-or-death situation. I didn't know what to do!

Too late, I thought of the arc reactor on my chest. I hesitated, remembering my dad's warning to keep it secret. If I were the only one capable of acting, Harry would've died right then and there.

Luckily, it wasn't just me. Dumbledore ran onto the field and managed to slow Harry's fall in the last few feet. He still hit the ground hard, but hopefully not hard enough to kill him.

Dumbledore was furious, his booming voice casting spell after spell to chase the dementors away. The world sped back up to normal pace and I could think straight again. I didn't do anything when I could've helped once, and as Harry laid on the ground while someone went to get Madam Pomfrey, I decided I couldn't sit on the sidelines again.

"Accio broom!" I bellowed, jumping into action. I shot down to the pitch where Harry lay motionless on the ground. I got CPR certified a few years ago, and I was going to do everything in my power to make sure Harry survived this.

I couldn't live with myself if he died because I hesitated.

I hit the ground at a run, bending down to check for a pulse as soon as I got to Harry. My own heart almost stopped as I realized Harry's heart had an irregular rhythm. He was breathing, but I needed to start chest compressions immediately to get his heart beat back to normal.

I was vaguely aware of everyone moving around me as I started thirty chest compressions, doing my best to keep a steady pace.

"Ana," I panted between compressions. "Can I use the suit as an AED?"

"You can deliver a shock, but you can't analyze his heart rhythm or make sure the current goes through his heart without AED pads," she said.

I swore under my breath, trying to decide what to do. I didn't want to make things worse, and if I didn't use the shock correctly it might stop Harry's heart all together.

Before I could come up with a plan, Madam Pomfrey arrived and pulled me away.

"Smart emergency medicine, Miss Stark, but I'll take it from here." I collapsed back in the grass, whipping off my Stark glasses as she used her magic to get Harry stable before levitating him off to the Hospital Wing.

I took a minute to collect myself, trying to even out my breathing. Considering my family and the training I got, there was no good reason for me to freeze up like that. I came from a line of superheroes, and I was supposed to be able to save the day. My complete idiocy and failure to act could've gotten Harry killed.

What the hell was wrong with me? Why couldn't I keep it together when it really mattered?

"Alexa? Are you all right?" I glanced up to see Hermione standing over me, looking extremely concerned. "That was very quick thinking with the CPR. I don't think that would've occurred to most of the wizards here, and it might have saved Harry's life until Madam Pomfrey got here."

I shook my head, glaring at the grass.

"I should've done something earlier," I barked. "He could've died, and it would've been my fault."

"Alexa don't be ridiculous!" Hermione exclaimed. "There was nothing you could've done! Even Dumbledore almost wasn't fast enough to save him!"

I disagreed, but I couldn't argue any more without telling her about the suit. Besides, I didn't want to keep her here comforting me when one of her best friends was on his way to the hospital wing.