Chapter Three • Kara

You would think I felt fine after leaving the fogged up soccer field, but here I was with my hands wrapped around Lena's arm as we walked to AP Anatomy. She had made a few comments about just how cold my hands were but I could tell she knew why. I hated talking about what happened to her.

It didn't make me feel any better that it usually didn't get this fogged up so early in the season. We did live on the east coast but we expected fog later in the year, usually between September and October. It all just had to be a strange occurrence, right?

"Lena, what are you doing?" A voice asked and we both turned to see Sam standing there, a distraught expression written all over her face. My hands dropped like bricks, slightly quivering as Lena smiled at Sam.

"Sammy, you're not usually here this early..." Lena stated as the tall girl's brown eyes looked me up and down.

"Can I speak to you? Alone?" Sam asked, returning her gaze back to Lena as I removed my book bag from her shoulder and slung it across my own.

"I'll go. See you later....buddy," I spoke awkwardly as Lena looked at me like she wanted to laugh.

'Yep. See you in anatomy, buddy," my green eyed girl answered as she offered a fist bump. I took the chance to bump my hand against hers before I started walking away, a small smile creeping up my lips.

I waited in the classroom for what felt like forever before Mrs. Allen tried to initiate a conversation. "Kara. I've been meaning to ask. How has your sister Alexandra been?"

"Well, actually, I don't know Mrs. Allen," I answered truthfully as she offered a kind smile. "She's been traveling Europe with her girlfriend Maggie Sawyer."

"Maggie Sawyer as in the daughter of Commissioner Sawyer?"

"Yep."

"That's too funny. I remember having her years ago. She was quite the optimist, especially when it came to graduating. I'm glad your sister met her, although I am still a bit bitter about her asking Mr. J'onzz to deliver her diploma rather than me." Mrs. Allen joked as she laughed, eliciting the same reaction from me.

"But really Kara, I'm glad she's at least having fun. Tell her to stop by once she comes back," she said as I nodded.

"Of course Mrs. Allen."

That ended our conversation as kids had started to enter the classroom, neither Lena or Sam in my sights. I continued to wait as I felt my phone buzz, fully repaired due to the excellence and expertise of Lena this morning.

Pulling the device out of my pocket, I read the notification.

Mike: Hey, missed u this morning. Is everything ok?

My eyes widened a bit as I looked around. Oh gosh I had really forgotten about him. Quickly, I typed out my reply.

Me: Sorry Mike, I was pretty busy and I barely made it to school on time.

The moment I tapped send, he was already reading and replying.

Mike: See that is so funny because I drove by ur house and ur car was there and I just got here

Trying not to overreact, I covered with a lie.

Me: I stayed the night at my friend Diana's house.

Mike: Oh good lol. That's what ur mom said. Just wanted to make sure u weren't out there with someone else

It started to feel uncomfortable as my brain became paranoid. Did he know I was at Lena's?