Chapter Four • Lena

"Nicole, thanks for coming over," I spoke as I opened the front doors of my house to allow her into the mansion. I looked at the redhead who only shook her head as she stepped in, water slipping off her coat and onto a rug.

"What's this about Lena? You never call me," Nicole answered as she pulled her coat off and hung it on a rack before removing a pistol that was tucked in her waistband. My eyes watched analytically as she disarmed the weapon, laying all the parts out on a table.

"That's not necessary. I trust that you won't hurt me," I said as she rolled her eyes.

"Why did you call me Lena?"

"Would you quit already? Why are you being so  hostile?" I pulled her to a couch in front of the blazing fireplace, nodding for her to sit down.

"I'm trying to get out of this business. I want to apply to the Willis County Sheriff Department, Lena. I'm sick of being strung to this gang. I want a better future." She took a seat hesitantly before leaning her head into her hands. "Waverly wants me to quit. I have to."

"Yet you still carry a gun, and you show your mark with no shame," I scrutinized, watching as Nicole looked to her wrist where a wolf had been tattooed. "We're a family Nicole. You can't just leave."

"It's illegal and the only family I need, it's her. Waverly is my family, Wynonna is too. Now tell me why you asked me here."

I sit down in my father's leather chair, pouring some scotch into two glasses as I offer one to Nicole. She gives me a look but she does not refuse, taking the glass from my hand.

"There's been a complication," I answer, taking a drink as I cross one leg over the other.

"With Kara? I saw you two on the pitch today," Nicole states as I clench my jaw. I take one breath through my nose, shoving my feelings away into the smallest crevices I can think of before releasing the breath.

I tip my chin up and chuckle. "There was nothing with Kara to begin with."

"Yes, there was. I know you act like you don't have feelings for anyone except your brother but you're wrong. You love her, Lena."

"Love? How ridiculous. There is no room for such a feeling. I was with her for all of one day. My feelings were no deeper than anything else I've felt."

"Wow, she did you wrong, didn't she?" Nicole questioned as I narrowed my eyes.

"We're young, Nicole. You can't possibly believe that love exists."

She looked offended as she took a large swing of the scotch before setting the glass down on a table with a clank. "I love Waverly. She's the one for me. Maybe Kara isn't the one, but she sure as hell isn't just some crush."

I bit my lip, shaking my head in response. Kara broke me after literally one day. I would never forgive her.

"I didn't contact you to talk about Kara. There's something going on in Arias Valley-"

"Woodland," Nicole corrected as I bit my tongue. I forgot that she had joined the Woodland White Wolves for the reasons it was founded on. Injustice against the first settlers.

"Right. Woodland. Kara was followed by someone who had the intent to kidnap her a few days ago. I wish to know so this was."

"I don't know who it is."

"Of course you don't, but someone must. I'm asking you to come back Nicole. I'm asking you to help me. Shady things have been going down in Woodland lately and I'm concerned."

"It's not our job to be concerned, Lena."

"I think it links back to the Earp name."

Nicole became silent as her brown eyes flickered from me to the fire before resting on the illuminating flame.

"Explain," she said seriously, leaning forward as she clasped her hands.

"You know how Wynonna used to be involved with John Henry."

"Doc," Nicole restated as I nodded, taking another sip.

"Yes. He's been back in business with my father. Illegal business, and word has it, he's in bed with Rosita, the daughter of mafia man Roberto Silva. As you know, Roberto has had many run ins with Jeremiah Danvers, but also-"

"Wynonna," Nicole finished as she ran a hand through her hair. She sighed as she looked around. "Lena, I'm serious. I can't get back into this."

"That's quite unfortunate because it seems this circles back to your "family"," I noted, watching carefully as Nicole stood up.

"If this is just some game, I'll have your head Lena," she threatened as I laughed.

"Is that supposed to scare me? Please. Why would I tell you this to just mess with you?" I looked at her expectantly as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"You're right, you would, but only if it involved someone you truly cared about. Why has Kara been drawn into this? And if you really don't care about her, why would you make this your business?" Nicole prodded at my weak spots as I clutched the glass of scotch, my knuckles turning white.

"It's not about Kara.." I lied, gritting my teeth as Nicole walked to my front door, putting her gun back together.

"It is and you do such a crappy job at covering it. Look Lena, I know you don't wanna hear this but you act like a bitch. We used to be best friends and then you shut me out completely. I'm guessing you did the same thing to Kara. Maybe it's best you just leave her alone."

The redhead slid the gun beneath her waist before she opened the front door. "Maybe you should figure out your feelings. Not just for her sake but for everyone's. You hurt a lot of people when you get like this."

I wanted to say something, but I couldn't bring myself to retort in any way because she was right. Nicole was completely correct.

She didn't even say goodbye before she left, closing the door behind her softly. I couldn't move as I stared at the door, tears threatening to run down my cheeks. I stood up and grabbed the two glasses, taking them to the kitchen to wash them as I tried not to think about what she said.

Kara was better off.

There is more coming. I know this is really short. I just needed to offer background before some things go down.

The next chapter will be long af like usual.

Also, I'm a highkey "Lena is a bottom" but I always write her as a top?? Sorry?? I don't know how to stop it