The Picture

Charli POV 

When I woke up the next day, Maddox was gone. I was sad that I had missed him, but it wasn't out of the ordinary. He had a lot of job hunting to do. I took a shower and washed my long hair, and while I was waiting for it to dry, I found a note he had left for me (I still hadn't replaced my cell phone). 

My dear Charli, 

I have to go on a short trip to meet with a man who is interested in producing some music for me. I'm feeling much better, thanks to your care last night. I'll be back in a couple of days, and you better not forget about me while I'm gone. 

Maddox 

At first I felt crushed. Maddox was going to be gone for a couple of days? What if he was having an affair? I even cried for a little. 

But then I realized that was ridiculous. He was the one who was telling me not to forget about him. And I definitely wouldn't. 

But before I could dry my tears, there was a knock on the door. I went to answer it, and Blake was standing there in the hallway. 

"Oh, hi!" I said, quickly trying to wipe my eyes. I didn't know Blake that well and I didn't want him to see me crying. 

"Hi, Charli," said Blake casually, leaning against the doorframe. "I'm just stoppin' by, don't have much time...but I had some news to share with you that I thought you might find, ahem, interesting." 

I frowned. "What do you mean, Blake?" 

"Oh, nothing," said Blake. "Last night I was strolling downtown and I happened to see this building burning, so naturally I stopped to take a look."

"Okay?" I said. I had no idea where this was going. 

"Anyway, I noticed something interesting while I was there and I wondered if you might want to see it," he said. 

I was about to ask him what he meant when he held out his phone. I gasped and stared. 

It was a picture of Maddox...

...with another girl. 

A girl who wasn't me. 

They were holding hands. 

And staring into each other's eyes. 

A box that looked like a ring box was held in her hands. 

I stared at the picture and felt my heart begin to break.