ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ: ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ

Jack's POV:

I woke up sinking into an icy lake. And darkness was the first thing I could remember. It was dark, it was cold... and I was scared. Then I saw the moon. It was so big, so bright. It pulled me upwards, pulled me through the layer of ice that I was trapped under. The strange thing was that I was lifted up, lifted up into the air, my breath was vapour. When I could see it, I wasn't scared anymore. I hovered there, the moon's light bathing my face in a silver glow.

I was lowered onto the ground, my bare feet placed gently on the surface of the lake. I didn't know anything about myself. I didn't know why I was there or what I was meant to do. I tugged at my soaking clothes; some kind of shirt and pants under a cloak. They didn't bring anything back to me. I turned back to the moon for reassurance. There was something comforting about it.

I began trying to cross the frozen pond, slipping once or twice. As I regained my balance, I stumbled across a long stick. It seemed strange, out of place, so I prodded it with my toe. A very thin layer of ice spread along its surface at my touch. I picked it up gingerly, and the stick glowed blue and I dropped it in alarm. When it slammed against the icy lake, a sheet of ice twirled into a pattern. I stared in awe, rubbing the stick between my fingers. To test it, I tapped the stick against a tree and more of the patterns twirled across it.

I was bouncing on the balls of my feet with excitement as I took off to the lake, sliding around with the stick trailing behind me. It made a tinkling sound as ice shot from its tip. I was laughing wildly, spinning and turning around. Suddenly, I have ripped off the ground, rising up like I weighed nothing. I rose high enough so that I could fully see my work. Then I dropped, crashing through the trees, branches catching and dropping me until I caught one that could hold me. I clutched it tightly, holding onto it awkwardly with one leg swung over it and both arms wrapped around it.

My heart dropped to my stomach as my hands slipped and I fell back to the ground. I got to my feet unsteadily, groaning in pain. I walked back out onto the lake, occasionally glancing at the moon. I watched the patches of shady trees that surrounded the lake. Something rustled in the darkness, causing me to hold my stick up in defence. There was nothing but silence. My curiosity won me over. I advanced cautiously towards the trees, my stick aimed ahead of me.

"H-hello? Anyone there?" I asked, edging closer, there was a faint laughing sound that echoed around the trees, then I was ripped off my feet and thrown into the sky again.

The wind whistled in my ear as I flew through the air, and a name formed in my mind.

Jack Frost.

That must be me. I could at least remember my name. But that's all I could remember about myself.

I was dropped into a village centre, where warm torchlight shone. People wrapped in furs and cloaks walked in and out of homes or shops. At least I wasn't alone. I could hang out with other people until I remembered where I came from. A couple of kids ran towards me in a game of tag. I gave a light chuckle as I held my hands out to stop them.

"Hey, I was wondering if-" I began but they completely ran through me. And I mean ran through me. It was like I was a hologram. They didn't see nor feel me.

I clutched my stomach and panted hard, feeling empty inside. Here I thought I wouldn't be alone with these people. But I've realised I'm more alone than ever. I stood there, petrified, as people continued to pass through me like I was a ghost.